1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa t 242 trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WayneJessie, Jul 30, 2013.

1. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

After running a RedMax BCZ2600S for six years I decided to buy a backup trimmer in case the RedMax went down. The RedMax has been flawless and still runs like a top. The dealer encouraged me to buy another RedMax but I wanted to try something different so I purchased a T 242. Dealer sells both. The only real negative to the T242 became apparent after about two hours of running the crap out of it. The engine shrouds around that cat/muffler gets hot enough to be irritating and even uncomfortable. Also, if I shut it down when it was that hot it would be difficult to re-start. The more I ran it in really hot weather the less I wanted to run it because of the heat coming off the thing. Finally, I made up my mind that I was going to 'fix" the issue or it was going on down the road. After pulling the cat/muffler off and some careful modifications the heat is no longer an issue. The machine runs well is is a breeze to re-start at any temp. Other than that it has been great. I hope it will stand up to the running like my RedMax has. The T-242 was priced better than the Max so we'll see.
  2. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

The best thing to do to a cat is gut it.:laugh:
  3. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

Well, you said it not me..:laugh: