Shindaiwa t-270 vs Stihl F85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 20, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm contemplating which one of these trimmers I should get? Suggestions?

1) What parts are more readily available?
    2) Which trimmer is more power, less likely to break down?

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Shindaiwa, period.

3. alpine692003

really huh?

I was going through the www site, most of the stihl stuff is interchangeable..

ie) FS55 / FS85

I can attach hedge trimmers, polers, edging equipment compared to shindaiwa's one piece equipment!

I can only afford $500 CDN including taxes to spend on a power trimmer! I'm just starting off!

What do you guys think of the shindaiwa 230?

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the Stihl FS85, we've always had good luck with Stihl. Then as you grow and need them, buy the powerheads individually.

5. alpine692003

Could I attach powerheads to the Stihl FS85 model?

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, take the trimmer head off with two screws. We have an edger, hedge trimmer & mini cultivator and plan on a chain saw attachment.

7. alpine692003

cool, cool... Thanks dude!

How much did fs85 cost you? I know it will cost somewhere in the lines of $600 CDN for me! godammit!

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

You asked about a trimmer, not an interchangeable tool. I will never buy a stihl trimmer again, and I know many guys that say the same thing. They get hard to start, and tend to need repairs all too soon. Every trimmer I see in pawn shops are stihl, and when I go in for blades or oil to my dealer, I see another stihl on the pile for repair.

You want advice on a multi-tool, I have no first hand experience with any, but know that my Shin T230 has interchangeable hedge trimmers at least, and I think more attachments available. I prefer individual tools for each job.

You want advice on a trimmer, I can tell you that I have 7 or so shindaiwas, ( some for sale hehe), and NONE of them have been in the shop overnight. I had to take one of the 270's in for a new foam grip, took 10 minutes, and one of the stick edgers needs a new bolt and nut in the wheel assembly, but besides that, not a single repair on any of them. Just my two cents worth.

9. I bought two they were 335 each with tax in american

10. alpine692003

holy crap! that's cheap compared to canada! :(

I'm beginning to see more and more people get individual tools for each job!

ie) power trimmer for weeds/grass trimming
    ie) hedge trimmers for hedge trimmers

DOn't you guys get multi tools anymore, attaching powerheads to the fs85KM or the shindaiwa m230's?