1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa T230 straight or curved shaft?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShortCuts, Mar 16, 2001.

1. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I just got home from my dealer. I tried both the T230 straight and the T230 curved. I have never used a curved shaft trimmer I have always thought they were unprofessional. I must say I was extremely impressed with the T230 curved shaft. Unlike other curved shafts the shaft is long enough so the trimmer head isn't near your toes. Just curious if any of you guys are running t230's with curved shafts. I'm really torn, I liked them both. What do you guys think?
  2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I'm not sure , but the curved shaft probably has a cable instead of a solid steel shaft. If this is the case, the straight would of course be more durable. Good luck, Russ
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't know if I would know how to hold a curved shaft. ;)

Buy it the day you start mowing, you have 10 days to bring it back if you don't like it. We only have used the T27 and T270's in the Shindaiwas line of trimmers. A curved shaft seems like it would be hard to do any trimming with the trimmer turned 90 degrees, if needed.
  4. ShortCuts

from Maine

Eric.....I actually picked up a T270 today with the powerbroom attachment. I paid about $600 for the whole unit....and it came with the trimmer head attachment. I don't think i did too bad. what you pay for yours?
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We got our Shin Power Broom I think 3 years ago. I think it was around $500 for it and the Trimmers were $385. From what I heard, the trimmer head and gear box is around $100
  6. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Shindaiwa does not make a t-230 curved shaft ,they call it a f-230,same motor curved shaft turns clockwise and uses a smaller bump head,hope this answers your question
  7. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I would definitely recommend that you go with the straight shaft...I've found curve shafts to be less productive and as you said, they don't look very professional...Derrick
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

9. ShortCuts

from Maine

The more I think about it the more i think I want the straight shaft. But I'd still like to hear from someone who uses the f230. The one guy I talked to who runs f230's says he abolutely swears by them and would never go back to a straight shaft. Oh well....i guess i'll sleep on it

Does $215 sound about right for the T230?
  10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an Echo Gt-2000 curved shaft trimmer. I have been using it for going 3 years now with no problems. I think it's what you get used to. I've tried straight shafts and couldn't get used to them. I think I paid $159.00 for my trimmer,actually I bought two so I would have a backup. The backup is still sitting in the garage waiting.