1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa T230 trimmer vs Honda Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 24, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the market for a new trimmer. My choices are narrowed down to the Shindaiwa T230 and the Honda 4 stroke trimmer. I've heard nothing but good news about Shindaiwa. However, the fuel efficiency of the Honda 4 stroke is very appealing. The only drawback is the weight. Up unitl now, I've used only Stihl. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

For me a lighter machine outweights fuel efficiency, thats why we went with the 230 over say a bigger Shindaiwa. I have no complaints with them.
  3. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Where are you getting your stuff. I've only seen Echo, Sthil, Honda, and a few Kaw's around here. Never a Shindy. The only JD's I've seen were at WE Enterprises.
    Lighter is better if you're going to spend any time on it and if you're worried about fuel efficiency on a trimmer it sounds like you will be.
  4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa trimmers are available at Luke Mowers, W.E. Enterprises and Kooy Bros. My research on the web seems to indicate that they are a good make. Do you know anyone who uses the Honda trimmers? By the way, if you're interested in JD stuff, go to W.E. or Halton Grounds Care in Milton. They are a huge J.D. dealership and have everything from tractors, zero turn mowers, walk behinds, trimmers etc.
  5. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

I have a Shindaiwa 230X. It's light but sometimes lacks power. I know the Hondas seem very heavy. My favorite right now is the Kawasaki KBL26A. It is much lighter than my Shindaiwa T25's and doesn't feel much heavier than the 230. Besides, they have a deal now if you trade in a trimmer(I reckon any kind), you get $60 off.
  6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

buy the shindawa -you'll be glad you did. they were on sale nation wide for $250.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I just bought a second Shindaiwa T230 this past week and they were still on sale for $250. I love mine! Haven't had any power problems myself.
    Haven't used the Hondas so I can't speak on them.
  8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I am happy with my T-230.

I have killed one snake with it. I painted a snake "icon" on the side if it to intimidate other reptiles from messing with me and my T!

Any PETA members:

I cried when the snake died.
  9. hobbes

hobbes Banned

I know this is off topic but you were looking for an inexpensive altenative to a 21. If you go to WE Enterprises, ask for Shawn Smith, ask him for a used Troy-Bilt 33. I traded one last month when I bought my 36 Exmark TTHP. E-mail me nconnelly@sympatico.ca if you're interested in this machine and I'll tell him to give it to you for $450. I paid 2K and used it mabe 10 hrs. It doesn't compare to the Exmark, but if you can't spend on the 36WB it will save you some time over a 21 in mulching season.
  10. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

We use the Shindaiwa T230X. We have used them for little over two years now and they are great! The difference between the 230 and the 230X is that you can take the head off of the 230X and use a brush blade or other accessories. To be honest I have never used a Honda trimmer but the T230X is very light and powerful. Hope this helps.