Shindaiwa T254 Reviews Needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by dnpqkc, Jul 2, 2013.

1. dnpqkc

dnpqkc LawnSite Member

Questions:
    1. Does the Shindaiwa t254 vibrate less than the Stihl FS90r?
    2. Is Shindaiwa still having reliability issues?
    3. What is your opinion of the geared-down, high-torque trimmers in general? I keep wondering if the reduced head speed makes you have to trim slower.

I have not been able to find much in the way of reviews of the T254. The last couple of years, there seems to have been a consensus that the post-Echo-merger Shindaiwa units are inferior. Have these issues been resolved?

I currently have a Stihl FS90r. I like the low-end balls and reduced level of fumes as compared to 2-stroke units like my Redmax BCZ2650s. The problem is the Stihl vibrates more and causes HAVS in my left arm unless I wear anti-vibration gloves. That Redmax is a total Cadilac comfort-wise, but between the two-stroke fumes in my face all day and the lack of balls, I am starting to like 4 stroke trimmers.

We don't need to rehash the 4 stroke versus 2 stroke debate - I know the pros and cons already. Thanks for any information you may have on the above-listed questions.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If your 90 vibrates much at all, maybe you have a bent drive shaft or bad gear in the head. Miine is way smoother than my 2 strokes. The only thing about it I don't like is the same old complaint- hard to feather the trigger compared to a 2 stroke.

3. dnpqkc

dnpqkc LawnSite Member

My FS90 is two weeks old. It doesn't vibrate as much as my old FS85's did. I think those are what gave me carpel tunnel in the first place. They were otherwise fantastic trimmers, though.