1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa T260 Equivalent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by docshank, Apr 29, 2011.

1. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about replacing my old Shindaiwa T260. What would be the equivalent as far as power and handling goes in RedMax or Stihl. I don't have a nearby Shindaiwa dealer anymore. Thanks

docshank

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

your talking about replaceing a legend.

3. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

Order parts and rebuild it.:weightlifter:

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Husqvarna 326Ls. Husqvarna 323L.

260 is only a 24cc engine and it is very heavy, what so hard to replace? Husqvarna have bigger engine, much lighter and proven reliability. AND cheaper. Or Echo SRM265.

5. lawnboy dan

as usual your lack of experience in the field is showing-we are talking about the best mid weight trimmer of all time. i would look for a leftover 261 and replace the muffler from a dead 260 and be good to go. i did this recently and now have a great near t260. you just cant beat shindawia quality -too bad echo spoiled the party

6. Alan0354

Where is the best trimmer mentioned here, are you reading things?

Which part of the no Shindaiwa dealer where the poster are you don't get?

Which part of the complains mounting on the Shindaiwa T242 and the new T282 that you don't get? I own M242 and I won't buy it again. Someone just bought a M242 against my advice and had to go back to the shop in a day and still have not solve the problem. You even read the posts here?

7. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

The 230,260,270 were the top of the heap a few years ago.Yes there were some problems with newer models and that could be said of all brands thanks to the EPA.The only newer shinny I have is a 2510 that was bought in 2007 and has not let me down yet.I think the squeaky wheels get the grease as far as air time.The people that have not had problems you don't here from as much.

8. Alan0354

i think the 2510 is good. I have the Shindy 3410 handheld blower and love it. Just the 242 that I don't love so much!!! There are quite a bit of complains about the 242s. My M242 don't have big problems, just the little things here and there that starting to bug me....on top of it does not have power at all, I used another one before and is exactly like that, so I think mine is just what the 242 is. Only thing I rave about the Shindy is the Speedfeed head. I bought the M242 because I was so happy with the 3410 blower.

Shindaiwa seems to be spotty, the T2510, 3410 and the 802 blower are solid, but the 8510 and T242 seems to have more complains.

9. lawnboy dan

shindy stuff is so reliable that the lack of a dealer near dosnt matter with the internet as a parts source . you can still find leftover 261 and put a 260 muffler on it and have the closest thing to a new 260 as you can get.