1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa T261 spark plug wire broke

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Kalama_Bonsai, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Kalama_Bonsai

Kalama_Bonsai LawnSite Member

Aloha, everybody!

This is my first time in here and I'm not sure of my way around these parts, but here goes..

I have a Shindaiwa T261 trimmer that's a few years old now, and has been trouble free until yesterday. In the midst of a big job, she suddenly quit on me. I looked all over the machine. Gas? Check! Choke off? Check! When I looked at the spark plug cap, the wire was flappin' away. It looks like a clean break at the cap, with a bit of shearing on the rubber like cover.

I'm wondering... is this an easy replacement to do on my own, or should I take it in to the shop? I'm pretty good with tools, not the best, but at least I don't end up with "extra parts" after taking apart something. :laugh:

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--Mark
    Kalama Bonsai
    Maui, Hawaii

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

There are two possibilities. It has been years since I wrenched on anything Shindaiwa so I do not remember if the spark plug wire is fixed to the ignition coil or if it a detachable piece. But the wire and boot is what needs to be replaced. Please do not fool with improvised fixes, they do not hold up and there is nothing more uncomfortable, as well as dangerous than current leakage. You might need to buy the entire coil with wire and boot. Hope this helps. I suppose you are not in an area flooded by the tsunami last Friday.

3. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Kalama_Bonsai

Aloha, Greendoctor! Yes, I'm in the Upcountry area of Maui, so we were not flooded by the tsunami. Nevertheless, the anxiety factor was still there. ;)

Thanks for your advice!

-- Mark
    Kalama Bonsai, Maui, Hawaii

6. Kalama_Bonsai

7. Edge & Engine

Edge & Engine Inactive

8. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get a new plug wire end & boot from napa or most any auto parts store. just get the same type of boot as came off. slip the boot on, then install the metal end, pull the boot back over. that's it.....A couple-O-dollars.