Shindaiwa T270 Coil Wire Replaceable

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is the coil wire replaceable on these older units....Shindaiwa T270? Any idea what a coil would cost?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ed,

They don't list only the coil wire, #9 is a insulator sleeve, I don't have access to pricing. If only the wire is bad you have nothing to loose by heating the wire area with a heat gun to soften the epoxy and try pulling the old one out. Napa has bulk plug wire lead you could super glue back in.

[​IMG]

I have done this on a couple junker 4 cycles I didn't want to spend money on.

Just a thought......

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the last coil I ordered (20024-71610) was in the $70-$80 range.

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

On some of the older coils, the primary wire is screwed in. There is a little screw, like a upside down wood screw, very small, molded in to the coil. A new primary can be screwed in, but like Restrorob said, it should be glued in once you get it in.

ericg likes this.
  5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

shindaiwa coils have a lifetime warranty

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks......everybody very good info....this is a old unit but still chugs along so I am putting bandaids on it to get a few more miles.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm;

Limited Lifetime Warranty*
    Major ignition components (transistor unit, ignition coil, exciter coil, and pulser coil) applies to all models for internal failures only.

I don't believe they would cover a bad wire.....

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

They won't cover the coil at our shop.....think I made wrong analysis initially it may be that stupid kill wire shorting out....they have a real bad wire routing that you almost have to take the darn unit completely apart to ensure you have repaired it. This unit is so reliable I have never taken it apart.