Shindaiwa T270 problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Jul 15, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Went to start my T270 last night, pulled the rope and raw fuel poured out the exhaust. Figured no biggie, it must have turned upside down on the rack and flooded bad. Pulled the plug, it was wet. Pinched off the fuel line pulled the motor over quite a few times to clear it out. Pulled off foam air cleaner. Installed new plug, gapped properly, and tried again. Wouldn't even fire. Pulled the plug, checked for spark. Good strong spark. Cleared out fuel again, plus lit a rag, pushed down into bore to make sure all raw fuel burned out. Tried again. Still couldn't get to even fire. So loaded it up, made sure carb side was up. Tried again today. First pull, stream of raw fuel again. Thinking the float is stuck, but makes no sense why it won't fire with fuel line pinched off. I did put a small amount of fuel in cylinder while the line was pinched just to see if it would fire. Anybody have any ideas? Taking it to dealer on Monday if I can't figure it out. SHould fire right up with a good strong spark, kinda pissing me off.<p>By the way, I'm not going to open up the carb. It's still under warranty. <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: jason
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Let us know what the dealer says.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'm not exactly sure on this, but I've heard there is a diaphram in the carberator that the additives in the gas can eat up over time. This maybe the problem. Let us know what you find out.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Eric is on the right track,it sounds like a torn pump diamphram inside the carb,or a stuck needle in carb.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  5. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Yep . Been there and it is the carb. Needle is stuck or something like that . Needs a carb kit.
  6. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I am hot!!! Got my trimmer back today after waiting for a week. According to my dealer it needed a carb kit due to old fuel. Furthermore it wouldn't be covered by warranty. Total bill 75 bucks and some change. <p>I explained to the guy that the trimmer get's used 4 days out of the week. And I couldn't understand how gas could go bad in the 3 days of the week that I don't use it. Besides that, it always started by the second pull and ran great. No symptoms prior to it not starting. One day it ran great, next day raw fuel poured out exhaust. They said they didn't know but they weren't covering it. I told them I bought it in March. Mechanic standing there said march of '99? I told him no march of this year. He thought is sat all winter with gas in it. And I didn't even own it then. GRR!!!<p>I dutifuly paid my bill, and got the hell out of there. Later I looked at the invoice, I see they charged me for a spark plug. I put a new plug in the day I brought it in. Hadn't even ran yet with the new plug. Cost of a plug isn't much, but it's the principle of them replacing things that don't need it and charging me.<p>Besides that, they didn't have parts in stock. So it took a week to get it back. They know I'm a commercial user, they could have ordered them next day air. I had to call them and ask for a demo to use as it was affecting my business. The lady said, &quot;let me get the manager&quot;. Then she comes back and tells me the parts are in and they'll get right on it. No phone calls to me, to tell me parts are in. No hurry to get the commercial guy up and running. No demo's to use. Plus no warranty coverage. <p>I think I'm going to have a chat with the owner and let him know he know longer has my business anymore. I realize it's only 75 bucks, but I dropped over 8k there this spring.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

This is why I gave up on dealers for my small equipment. The ones around here do the same thing. This is why I will shop for the best deal. What service are they providing? Even if they did the work under warranty, you are still out of the equipment for a week of more. I would rather buy the parts than wait for warranty work. That's the best situation. You might end up paying for what should be warranted like you did. Hell you could have ordered a carburetor and done it yourself for about the same money, and you would have had your trimmer running in a day or two.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

when I got in the buisness, a dealer told me that the difference between an expensive string trimmer and a cheap one for ordinary lawn care use was that with an expensive trimmer I wouldn't mind paying a hundred bucks occasionally for repairs.<p>he said otherwise, wear out a hundred dollar trimmer and throw it away. same difference.<p>let's hear it for the homelite straight shaft crowd. YEA!!<p>GEO
  9. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

hate to say ,but you have been had,even if you needed a pump and gasket kit which lists for 20.00 change and shindaiwa gives you .4tenths of a hour to fix it,the bill should be under 50 bucks.if i were you i would contact shindaiwa directly,you can't say the hell with the dealers if you have one that porks people ,as most chain stores would say oh well what do you want from us
  10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have six t270's I have neverhad too many problems with them. I wear out clutches and drums and thats about it. One did have problems with the carb. I t ran good at first and than stopped running good. They finally put a whole new carb on it and it ran fine. They will try and blame it on you about the carb. Hold your ground don't take no for an answer!!! One of my 270's vibrates at low throttle and thoughts? Homelites suck.