Shindaiwa Too Heavy!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marrt, Jun 7, 2004.

1. marrt

marrt LawnSite Member

I went to buy a new 260 this morning and the dealer is only carrying the 261 now with the catalytic converter. The 261 is almost 13 lbs…it’s a pound heavier than the 260. Since I already had concerns about the weight, I think this is too heavy. My 26cc Robin weighs less than 10lbs. Would buy another but can’t find anyone who carries them now. Could go with the 231, even though I wanted more power, buts it’s now about 11 pounds (BTW, the 231 was $279 and the 261 was $339…are these prices OK?). Guess I’ll have to look around a bit.

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Try a Kawasaki (this coming from a former Shin. man) It is the lightest weight to power trimmer I have ever used. It is quite comfortable to use. Way lighter than the Shin's.

3. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

i like to try out different engines and for my 2cycle stuff i have a kawasaki trimmer, sthil stick edger, and a redmax blower and i would have to say i like my kawasaki engine the best it usually starts in 1 or 2 pulls w/o priming it, it also has a ton of power

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

My shindaiwa and redmax start in 1-2 pulls too.....also without prime.

5. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I look at it differently. I look at as if I was getting paid to work out:D

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I compared the Kawi side by side to the Husquvarna 325L and the Husky is lighter and just as powerful, maybe a little more powerful.

7. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

I love my stihl, but my shin. is a little lighter than the stihl

8. cincymower

cincymower LawnSite Member

I have a Husky too, I love it. It feels almost weightless, and has plenty of power. And that's with the shield left on.

I've never had a problem with it in the year plus I've had it. I wouldn't take off the spark arrester though, I did that the first time it was clogged and it promptly caught fire. Now I soak it in gas every weekend for about 5 mins, blot it with a paper towel and it's good to go.

I probably only run it about 3-4 hrs a week total, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good, lightweight and reasonably priced trimmer.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've been preaching the praises of the Robin since I bought one last year. It's lightweight and it's a HOSS! The importer is Carswell in Winston-Salem,NC. They used to be called Green Machine also.

10. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

A couple of weeks ago we picked up two shindaiwa T261A special Editions. They are a little on the heavy side but you get used to it. We do tons of weed whacking at the estate I work at and it does well. Starts second pull every time. We got them for $319 each. The only recomendation I would make would be to upgrade the standard head to the Pro head. The standard head is kinda flimsy and only has one chamber to string it as opposed to two chambers like those found on Sthils....