Shindaiwa trimmer heads

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnprosteveo, Apr 11, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have two Shindaiwa T231's. Those of you who have used shin's know the head is like a jigsaw puzzle.

The problem I am having is trying to twist the outer cap/ring off. It is getting snagged somewhere and it seizes up...takes two of us to wrench it off.

What can I do, short of buying a new head, to fix or remedy this? :help:

2. Bushwhacked

Bushwhacked LawnSite Member

Are you talking about the little silver cap or the entire Black head with the line inside of it? I just did mine yesterday, no problem getting it (the black part) off but getting it back on was killing me until I went to the website and saw a picture of the parts inside, I somehow don't have the manual anymore?

3. BUSH-N-TRIMMERS

BUSH-N-TRIMMERS LawnSite Member
    from NY

Shin's are the best out there.. I'v ground the nub that sticks down off ..(( looks like a V )) ,and keep a screw in trailor to lock head.. If it is an old center button make sure no dirt or grass is under cover..

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It gets all nastied up occasionally. Once you do get it off, scrape and clean it all up. I have that problem a couple of times per year. Mainly after i have mowed in the rain or something.

5. diesel833

diesel833 LawnSite Member

On our shin heads sometimes the eyelits where the string comes out gets stuck under the ring and makes it a pain to get it off. Just use a punch or screwdriver and pop the eyelit out from under it and it the ring comes right off. Hope that helps.

6. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

I switched to new heads. They make a adapter. Have a bunch of new parts for the old one if you are interested.

7. Pathfinders Lawncare

Pathfinders Lawncare LawnSite Member

It very well could be the eyelets sliding up. I have a couple of the T2500's and have just installed the new Speed-Feed head on one of them. I've run it two hard weeks now and am impressed. Only $25

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

this post should be in the mechanic and repair forum.

i love how sometimes they move stuff other times they don't seem to care.