1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shindaiwa trimmer will idle but not rev.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Easy Way Lawn Care, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Easy Way Lawn Care

Easy Way Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a shinddaiwa trimmer that is about three years old. It has worked fine up until now. I can get it to start and idle but when I rev it up it stalls out. I have replaced the plug and put in a new gas/oil mixture. I am cannot figure out the problem. Any suggestions.

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Pull the spark arrestor and check for blockage. If still dying out when throttled then verify that your fuel line and filter are good. Filters do clog and fail to pass through enough fuel. Fuel lines get soft and spongy with age in some fuels while others harden and crack. Either condition will alter the running characteristics of your beloved Shindaiwa.

If that does not remedy the problem then check out the diaphragm and gaskets in carb. Replace them when reassembling carb.

Let us know the results.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Also pull the muffler off and check the exhaust port.
  4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you have check for carbon in the exhaust port and cleaned it, and that didn't help, check the fuel filter in the tank.
    ericg likes this.