1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&D Lawn Care, Feb 21, 2006.

1. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you guys uae Shindaiwa stuff? I have been using Echo, Stihl and Redmax but have been thinking about gfiving Shindaiwa a shot, like maybe the
    T231 trimmer.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i use shindaiwa trimmers (T231 and T261) as well as the DX230 hedge trimmer and PB270 power broom. I've got nothing but good results with them. I stay away from stihl for anything but their chainsaws. but thats just my experience. I have two Echo BP750T backpack blowers which i really like also.
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

T231- excellent piece of machinery. Flexible handle and and powerful engine. The best thing is it starts on one pull. Every time little bit of choke though.:)
  4. HFD27

HFD27 LawnSite Member

I love mine, I will say I could tear-up an anvil I am so hard on equipment an these are still going strong, The 350 Rocks! See Sig, Shindaiwa trimmers are all I use at the moment , but other Brands are good too. I use My trimmers through tough stuff. Because most of my Mowing is bush hoging lots and weed-eating only gets done about every 6 weeks.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have run shin for years they rock,we tried redmax a few seasons back.
  6. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

I don't know how much trimming you are looking at, but I would suggest the T270 as opposed to the 230. I've had all three 270, 260 and 230 and they are all quality machines, but the power of the 270 will save a lot of time! Also take the operators height into consideration. One of my guys was 6'5" and he had a very hard time using the 230, the shaft was simply too short. On the other hand in the operators are on the small side the 270 may just be too heavy to comfortably complete a full day.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Must be a bent shaft 230,i thought all trimmers were 6 feet long.;)
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

after I bought my 261 I thought I'd made a mistake due to the weight compared to my 231, but after the first couple days you get used to it, and now i don't like using the 231. the 261 is about 3" longer than the 231 I believe which is helpful for me since i'm 6'
  9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Once you go with the 261 you may never go back. It is heavier, but for any job over regular maintainence I found the 231 a bit sluggish, while the 261 cranks.
    For 1 week growth lawns the 231 is nice and light though.
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have used mostly shindaiwa for the last 3 years. I run the t231 trimmers.

The only negative thing I can say about the trimmers is the head.

It has about six pieces that come out if you dont handle it right when you swap spools.

It has 2 eyelits, a spring, a cap, a button, and a spool.

I really prefer echo's setup on the head. Other than that, they are a good piece of equip.