Shindaiwa trimmers and blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey everyone. Looking for opinons on Shindaiwa EB630 blower and maybe what the consensus is using for Shindaiwa trimmers. Can't decide if I want a T231 or a T260. What's the difference between the "X" series? Been a Stihl guy for years but really got burned on the last 4 mix I had. Loved the torque, but the damn thing basically quit running on me after a year, took 25-30 pulls to get it started when warm and dealer couldn't fix it after multiple returns. Dealer keeps telling me I won't be disppointed with the new models, but I just don't want to throw away another $300-400 on a trimmer. Seems like Shindy's are good machines, I don't think I'll be disappointed, and the dealer is much closer than Stihl.

2. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I have t-230 and a m-231 they stopped making the t-230 (i think) I plan on getting a t-231 this year I've had no problems w/ my shindy's........3 pumps on the primer.......one pull w/choke on........second pull w/ choke on and hold the throttle.........both start every time on second pull like clock-work.....after first start of the day they start every time w/ one pull hold throttle no choke......
    thinking of getting a eb8510rt blower towards end of season for leaves......
    the x series you can covert between the trimmer head and the brush cutter head

From shindy's website-

T260 & T260X
    Dry Weight* 11.8 lbs. (5.4 kg)
    Displacement 1.5 cu. in. (24.1 cc)
    Output 1.3 hp (1.0 kW) @ 7500 rpm
    Fuel tank capacity
    18.8 oz. (555 ml)

For more labor-intensive projects, the T231 series features a larger fuel tank. And with all the power and mobility of the T230 series, it’s a valuable component of any lawn tool arsenal. The T231X can also be equipped with a brushcutter blade.

T231

Dry Weight* 11.9 lbs. (5.4 kg)
    Displacement 1.4 cu. in. (22.5 cc)
    Output 1.1 hp (0.8 kW)

Fuel tank capacity 22.7 oz. (670 ml)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T231X

Dry Weight* 12.2 lbs. (5.5 kg)
    Displacement 1.4 cu. in. (22.5 cc)
    Output 1.1 hp (0.8 kW)

Fuel tank capacity 22.7 oz. (670 ml)

3. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

With a combination of advanced features – from the carburetor to the high-efficiency impeller and blower housing – the EB630 series is setting new standards of blower performance. With a performance rating of 201 mph and 613 CFM, the EB630 is one of our most powerful blowers. The EB630RT features a throttle "cruise control" function for sustained “hands-off” operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enlarge
    EB630

Dry weight* 19.8 lbs. (9.0 kg)
    Displacement 3.8 cu. in. (62 cc)
    Output 3.9 hp (2.9 kW)

Fuel tank capacity 67.6 oz. (2.0 l)
    Air volume at nozzle
    613 CFM (17.4 m³/min.)
    Nozzle velocity 201 mph (323 km/h)
    Noise rating 75 dB(A)
    Air volume at housing 1085 CFM

Enlarge
    EB630RT

Dry weight* 19.8 lbs. (9 kg)

Displacement 3.8 cu. in. (62 cc)

Output 3.9 hp (2.9 kW)
    Fuel tank capacity 67.6 fl. oz. (2.0 ml)

Air volume at nozzle
    613 CFM (17.4 m³/min)
    Nozzle velocity 201 mph (323 km/h)
    Noise rating 75 dB(A)

Air volume at housing 1085 CFM

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

dont buy a 231! its a pos! too heavy and no power! get the 260

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're checking out stats on Shindaiwa's web site, they don't go too far out of their way to point this out -- the weight is without the cutting head, and probably without the guard as well!

6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Doesn't sound like your dealer has a good tech and it sounds like you have a unit with a bad coil. Take it back and have them try a new coil under warranty and see if this solves your problem. That has been the only problem I have had with the 4-mix and once it was changed out no more problem.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the 4 mix I had went into the shop 4 times. I was finally so pissed off I demanded a refund, they gave me a brand new FS85RT. This was when I was operating in my home town, I'd probably do business again with that dealer, but I'm in a different area now. I don't have a Stihl dealer very close here and I'd like to just walk into a place and buy all my tools from one guy and hopefully get a package deal. The Shindaiwa dealer here also sells Honda mowers and I'll be getting a commercial 21", hopefully I can get maybe a couple hundred bucks knocked off the total price if a spending upwards of $2,000 in one visit.

8. Fox Lawn & Garden

Fox Lawn & Garden LawnSite Member

I have the EB630 and that puppy will blow rocks.
    It's a fuel hog on high speed, but works fine on slower settings.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You may want to look more at the EB8510 than the EB630. The EB630 is a good machine, but replacement parts for it have sky rocketed this year. Our cost on parts went up as well as the retail. Our distributor stated to me that the cost actually went up more than what we are seeing but that they decided to cut their margin to still be able to make the parts semi afforded. It's the engine related parts that jumped so much, so I'm sure it has to do with the buyout of Redmax by Husqvarna. The EB8510 is all Shindaiwa.

Trimmers - With the intro of the T242 and forthcoming trimmers built on the basis of the T242, you likely will not see the T230 and T231 powered units around much longer (this goes for the engine on the SHindaiwa products across the board).

If you've actually found a dealer with the T260 (not the T261) and you can pick the trimmer up, go for it over the T231 or find the T242.

The "X" designation in the product indicates that the unit comes provided with the necessary gear to equip it with a metal blade, however, a blade is not included in the price. Any T230 and up unit can be equipped with a blade by purchase of the brush blade kit for about $40 plus the standard blade at about $12 - $15. I don't remember off the top of my head the current pricing for the "X" units over the standard model though.

10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have been using Shindy for years, very good machines. I would get the 260 if you can, 230 are o.k. but not much power. Stay away from the 231, 261, 272, heavy and not as much power as the 230, 260, 270. We do have one 231, we use it with the pole saw attachment, works good this way. This is what we have 230, 231, 260, 270. The 260 is what we use most, the 270 is nice for a clean up, tons of power, but heavy. We also have two 630 blowers, and a br600 blower, we fight over the 600. We like the 630's, but the br600 is hard to beat.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, I'm staying away from the Shindy 8510, that thing is heavy. I know someone that has one and he said it is hard to start.