Shindaiwa trimmers, prices and suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am sure this has been beat before, but I ran into a dealer that would not haggle at all. I have never paid labled price on any machine at a small engine dealer, and they would not budge a buck. I was wondering if $349 is a reasonable price for a T260, and $419 for a T270?

Also, can I expect more power with a T260 then with an Echo 260? The price is quite alot difference if power is the same. Also, do they still make a T230, and is the T231 going to perform worse or have problems that the T230 does not?

Thanks a bunch
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally own only one shin, and I will never buy one again. I am not happy with their product. The heads are poor quality
  3. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a t230 and I was using a echo 210 and it is much much better. I got mine for 259 and i guess there was some promotional deal where you get a free sprayer so I got one, that was sweet. I havent tried the t270 but the dealer didnt have a t260 i wanted to try that out but the 230 does me just fine with 15 lawns a week
  4. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i have 3 new T261 limited editions and 2 them. i paid 323.25 for the T261 and 269.90 for the T230
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Get a different head. I use Veri brand heads on mine.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Anything with the "1" after it is the new emmisions crud. Not as powerful as the others. Yes, the 230 is still made, but lacks power and length, and the handle is too short. The 270 is the way to go, tiedman must have gotten a lemon. They are the best trimmers out there, period. I've run them for 15+ years, and the 270 will make you want to leave your edger home. It's sweet. Tiedman must have gotten a lemon, or a smaller one. yes, I agree, the heads suck. So what, pay $20.00 and get another one. Even with the inferior heads, they out work any other trimmer I've ever used. Stihl, echo, robin, many others. Redmax's are close in power and reliability, but don't have the track record of Shindaiwa.

You can still find 230, 270, etc. for a while longer, then they go to the "1"'s. I paid $379.00 for 270, $299.00 for the 230. $419.00 sounds a little high. Go somewhere else and buy one. You won't need dealer support for years if you maintain it well. My 270 is going on 4 years old, I think, NEVER been in the shop, cranks on first pull, and has power to spare. Like I said in another post, I don't even bring an edger with me anymore. I was offered $250.00 for my 270, being almost 4 years old, I turned it down. Worth it's weight in gold to me.

Hope this helps.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

went through two bump head buttons, and also replaced the head.

My main brand that I use is Stihl and I have NEVER had to replace the buttons or the head ever.
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yeah, but they suck.
  9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i got a t-231 paid 329.00 love it about to get another one
    i got the "free" sprayer too
  10. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

we have about 8 of shin's.. 6 red t230's???? and two of the big blue ones.. I don't think I would ever buy another one. The quality seems to be dropping. Our older whips run 10 times better than our new ones with a lot less problems.. My dealer even agreed the newer ones seem to be throw aways. We get about two years out of them, then junk... Also our guys work an average of about 55 hours a week as well, so they do get a work out.... we switched to RedMax and Tanaka so far this year they are great. My dealer stopped selling shidaiwa as well....