Shindaiwa Trimmers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Clifton, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

How long are your Shindaiwa trimmers lasting before you have to replace them? We have about 15 260s & 261s and it seems like they lose their power by the middle of the 2nd year. I am not going to totally rebuild one, but we remove the spark arrest screen, make sure the carbs are clean, good spark plugs, fuel filters etc.
    Could it be our gas/oil mixture? We discovered that our 2.5 gallon cans are not 2.5 gallons - they are closer to 2.25 gallons.
    There is alot of other things that break on them too, but they have worked better than any of the other manufacturers for us.
    I feel like we should be getting way more time out of these.

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

What type of oil are you using?

We have been using Shindaiwa for years, I like to have only one brand, seems to make things much easier. I don't think the newer ones are as good as the older ones. We are in the process of switching to either Stihl or Ehco, not sure witch on we will go with. I will say, we are leaning more towards stihl, they seem to start much easier.

3. Tony Clifton

We use the Shindaiwa oil (Shindaiwa 1 I believe).
    I have had stihl blowers & chainsaws - they flood way too easily though (not a problem with me, but when you have several employees it becomse a problem)
    I have had echo pruners & trimmers, if the dealer that I like still sold them I would probably give them another whirl.--actually, if I can't figure out whats going on with the Shindaiwas I may go back to buying the "disposable" echo trimmers from Home depot.
    Red Max was junk but we only had 1 trimmer that literally only last a month, and 1 blower (werent that impressed).

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like carbon build up to me. Run some seafoam though them, might be surprised at the results.

5. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats odd, usually the good old 260's would run worry free for years.

The seafoam could definately help.

Do you get gas from the same place all the time? I wonder if you are getting watery gas or something.

Also if you are thinking of switching, i would go with the echo over the stihl stuff. The srm 265 is a very good trimmer, and cheaper than a 261. I dont like them as much as a 260/261 but are my second choice for sure.

The only shindy stuff i have left is trimmers and edgers. The rest is echo.

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We used to use Shindy oil, too many ports plugging, so we switch to Stilh Ultra. We have just switch again, now we are using Amsiol, haven't used it long enough to say anything good or bad. I did have a Echo rep tell me the other day that I should throw the Amsoil away, :rolleyes: of course he thinks we should use the Echo oil, go figure. :hammerhead:

We have one Echo 261, that we bought to try. Man that thing is great, the problem is it's takes forever to start it and getting warmed up, but once it starts it's a beast. I don't think we'll be buying any more Echo.

We have 3 Stihl Br 600 blowers, and a 110 edger, They start on the 1st pull, and run great. So, it looks like Sthil it shall be.

Echo from Home Hepot? Aren't they very small homeowner units? I'm not sure.

7. Tony Clifton

I am thinking that it is gas/oil related.
    What is seafoam?
    They have some straight shaft trimmers - I haven't paid attention to what exact models or anything, but I used to use their heaviest duty one and they worked well.

8. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Tony, If you want to get a trimmer that will last for years and take crews abuse check out the Stihl FS-250R. They are more expensive than other trimmers but last forever. One of the largest companies in my city who does all the creeks and right aways uses these and I see their guys getting the string about a foot long on both sides to mow these creeks and they run the piss out of them. I used to have two and wish that I would've kept them.

9. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I know someone who has Shindaiwa thats going on 12 yrs old. 2 yrs seems kind of short. My Shindaiwa is pretty old too, but I love it. Its the most powerful trimmer I've ever ran.

10. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

what is seafoam... and where do you get it?