shindaiwa trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, May 1, 2004.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

I have decided i want one to replace my echo. I am looking at the t230 for 250$ and the t260 for 320$. I want it for normal trimming but also enough power to rip through weeds that have grown for a few weeks or longer. I mow around 5-6 yards a week. So essentially is the t260 worth the extra money, or will the t230 do what i want?? Whats your opinion??

Thanks guys!! snapper

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yes, the 260 is worth the money. They go for $299.99 around here.

3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

how do the 230 and 260 compare to each other, weight wise? how about compared to an srm-260?

4. ElephantNest

from La.

260 is a bit heavier, but I think it's the perfect balance of weight and power. Love the 230, but it lacks the power needed for some jobs. If I could only have one trimmer, I'd keep my 270. But I use all three, just depends on what I'm doing, and how I feel. I've got (3) T270's, (1) T260 and (1) T230, and love them all.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The t270 is even more worth the extra money. I concede that it is heavy, I think there is more material in the shaft assembly, which makes things real smooth, positive and very accurate IMO. Like "Chevyman 1" says "chicks will dig you"[I'm paraphrasing] for your big arms.

6. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

do you know what the equivilant to the echo srm-260 is? if not, which would be best for the following use...

10-15 hours a week use. only string trimming. all trimming and edging regular maintenance customers.

tia,
    les

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I would say buy thet 270, it is 15cc larger and a 100.00 more but over 10 years which they last that's 10.00 a year. I have owned the Echo's [three] and run t270's, t27 since 1993 and my original still runs although I hear piston slap. I am not familar with the t260.

8. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Need to head your way `Nest. Never bought one for less than 335.00.

9. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

I have the t230 and the t270. If you are getting only one trimmer do not get the t230. It is nice and light, however, it will only take one or two situations with some overgrowth for you to wish you had more power. I am used to the weight of the t270 and use it all the time. The power is there if I need it.

10. ElephantNest

from La.

Odd story about that Metro; All the dealers have them for $340.00 +. One day at the rental store, I saw that they rented shindaiwas. I asked about the cost, then asked if they sold them. Priced a 260 there and it is $299. Couldn't believe it. Been there under my nose the whole time.