Shindaiwa vs. Echo vs. RedMax vs. Stihl vs. Tanaka

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by runninhorn, Apr 9, 2006.

1. runninhorn

runninhorn LawnSite Member

Which Trimmer is best for 20 yards a week? Any thoughts appreciated.

2. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

depends on what model you get.. say you decided to go with redmax.. if your going to be running it all day long for 5 days a week get the bcz3000 or the 2600 if your going to be running it only 2-3 days go with the bcz2401s.. i run all redmax.. the stihl 4 mix are starting to look nice though

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

One of our trimmers is a Shindaiwa and I LOVE it!!!:waving:

4. treemeat

treemeat LawnSite Member

all the brands you listed are good trimmers and will provide years of service. I had a bad experience with my redmax 2400, the head wore out in less than a season, I found it vibrated more than any commercial trimmer I had used which numbed my hands and parts fell off of it (line cutter and air filter cover) though it was easy on fuel. I thought echo was a little heavy and I don't like their small gaurd. Here Tanaka dealers are hard to find, but my dad has used one at his house for 15 years & still running. Never had a Stihl trimmer but have some other stihl equipment good quality. My Shindaiwa trimmer is very smooth and built like a tank though a little heavy but low vibration. Currently I mainly use a Husqvarna 325 trimmer on its third year (30-80 yards a week) and I bought it used. I think it is lighter than the rest which is important to me but also it has minimal vibration and a superior gaurd; these make for a less tiring workday. Its been an excellent machine.

if you will only have one trimmer and no stick edger I would opt for something more powerful than an entry model for the occasional "dirt cutting" you may have to do. If you have an edger then an entry model should suffice for a lower price plus it will have less weight and still last as long as a more expensive model.
    hope this helps