Shindaiwa vs Stihl

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking at a new trimmer. My Echo has served me well and I am going to replace it. I am looking at two from Shindy and two from Stihl.

Looking at the Shindy T242 and T254. The 254 has the Hybrid 4 engine, don't know if that is better, also a pound or so more over the T242.

The two from Echo are the FS90R and the FS100RX. I like the FS100RX, it is in the 10lb range, plenty of power and seems to be a good fit.

I would appreciate any feedback on these models from any owners out there. Thx

2. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Capemay I can only comment that my Sthil FS85 that I've had for years has never failed me. I think you'll here good things from both camps....I don't think you'd regret buying either brand.

3. Capemay Eagle

Thanks AV, I am leaning towards the Stihl. My dealer sells both, I talked to him last season and suggested the FS100.

4. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Look at a Red Max. Shindys aren't what they used to be. The two I have that finally died. I was told by a dealer that quit carrying them. "They don't make em like that anymore". I just bought an FS90R. I don't think it has the power of my now departed T230 or the T231.

5. Capemay Eagle

I was looking at one of the adds above on the core trimmer and read the site and checked out a couple of vids and this thing is pretty interesting. One less machine to winterize and it is built in the US. Tecnology is getting better with this stuff. I am going to look into this a little more. Little pricy at $400+ for the package, but should last forever.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqTmUfuKW8

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

FYI echo and shindawia are the same company, that should narrow down the decision to two brands. Don't be shy about making your dealers work for your business.
    easy-lift guy

7. Capemay Eagle

Thanks, that was a typo, I meant to write "Stihl" FS90R and FS100RX

8. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

No problem, I believe both brands have their good and bad features. Have to
    give Echo credit for not wasting a lot of money reinventing the wheel, they just bought their own Shindawia model. Smart move in the short term.
    easy-lift guy

9. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yep, and that is why I didn't buy another Shindy. Bought a Shindy EB212 blower thinking it should be as good as my T230 and T231 (I somehow missed the part about Echo buying them out). Been in the shop 4 times in two years. First time, one month after the warranty ran out they had to replace the carb. Said it looked like it had been underwater. I take care of my equipment I was an OMC outboard tech. I take care of my stuff. They replaced it under warranty after a few calls to Echo/Shindy. Still difficult to start.
    It is a shame a good product line has been cheapened. IMHO

10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

The old shidys were good the newer ones not so much.

Stihl is all we buy now.