Shindaiwa vs. Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tannerman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. tannerman

tannerman LawnSite Member
    from 37932

which chainsaw is better, Shindaiwa or Stihl? I have a homelite, and am tired of needing a stronger, more reliable saw. I cut mostly for my own personal firewood, and some for friends and family. I would like something that would easily handle a 20" bar. I found the prices for the stihl 290 farm boss @ $339.00, and the stihl 310 Farmboss @ about $369.00. I know these are good saws, I heard Shindaiwa's are supposed to be comparable, but can't get much info on them as pricing and/or reliability goes anyway. Anyone have an opinion on which is better, or how much shindaiwa is?

2. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There probably is nothing wrong with Shindaiwa Saws , or even Echo chain saws from an engineering standpoint, but Stihl has one huge advantage that no other brand can equal. This is the large servicing dealership network that Stihl has been able to build up over the last 40 years.

The advantage for you is that no matter where you travel to, if you need anything for your saw [parts,service,or supplies] there is probably a Stihl dealer just a few miles down the road, where you can get what you need, and quickly get back to work.

Since Stihl saws and other Stihl tools are so popular [largest selling brand in the world] their dealers usually can afford to carry a very large supply of repair parts. This investment of tens of thousands of dollars in parts is not possible for dealers to do with any very thinly sold brand of any type.

Since there are so many servicing Stihl dealers, it gives you the advantage of choice also. If you have any problem with any Stihl dealer, there is usually a number of other Stihl dealers fairly close by that you can choose to work with. This often is not the case with smaller brands. If your local dealer for Shindaiwa saws were to go out of business, would you have another close by dealer to get parts and service from ?

Since you have unfortunatly bought one orphan saw already [your Homelite] I should think that this would be a main concern to you !

3. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

i have a stihl 026 and would not lok at any other brand if i needed another,and shouldnt for a long time. mine is about 8 yrs old and runs better than new

my equipment
    stihl hs 74 hedge trimmers
    stihl bg 75 blower
    stihl 026 saw
    stihl fs85 r trimmer

love all of it

4. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

I have had both Stihl and Shindiawa saws and like both. I do agree with Sam of Ohio that the dealer network of Stihl is an advantage but as far as quality I would hate to pick one over the other. I have a Stihl 044, MS260, a Shindiawa 575 and 350. used all of them alot.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Stihl 026 also. You couldn't get me to buy another brand of chainsaw either.

6. deadend

deadend LawnSite Member

Forget about the 290 & 310. If you want another cheap saw buy another Homelite.

7. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

sthil all the way i have a extreamly old 024 sthil runs like a champ

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl chainsaws are fantastic! I love my Stihl MS250C chainsaw!!!

9. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I hate to really bring this up, since you're asking about two DIFFERENT products, but have you considered a Husky? The one's built in Sweeden are supposed to be built like tanks.

I love all my husky equipment, and plan on adding a edger and string trimmer very soon.

10. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with Husqvarna or Stihl for chainsaws, they have both been making their saws for so long compared with several other brands that now make them as well. Just my guess, I don't know much about saws.