Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunner27, Mar 27, 2005.

1. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

what happened to them? In my opioin they use to be the best trimmer out there. Now they hve all these new trimmers that are heavier and less power than the competion. T-270 where are you? T-272x - (i don't think so!)
  2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Id like to add, I think the T-231 sucks. I have 3, trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, The hedge trimmers are the only one with enough power. The others bog down. I love my red max. Its funny the dealer has about 5 red max weed eaters on display, and they bought about 100 T-231.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally have never liked them. My employees loved them to death because of how smooth they were compared to Stihl. But I take Stihl hands down any day
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa will soon have a service update to eliminate the the T231 hot start issue.

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Where can we find out about hot start issue? I love the t-230s except my newest one has that problem. I had to replace the ignition module on my old 1996 model but it is still my best trimmer. When the new one gets hot it quits. I tried the husquvarna 23cc model and it starts first time and the head is great but the low end torque is shi$ .
  6. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

We never have had any problem with the Shindaiwas. I did switch all the edgers and trimmers to the T260s and T261s. The T230 is a great engine, but we wanted a little extra power. The 260 seems to be better balanced also. Dont know what I will do when emissions shut down the 2 strokes. I hat the four mix Stihls, and have not tried the 4 mix Shindaiwas. We will see soon enough though.
  7. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

i have not had problems with my t-231 bogging down and no hot start issues.either. I love it. I use the edger attachment on my 2510 and that thing can cut a nice edge even in the early spring. I bought the hedge trimmers over the winter so I haven't really had a chance to use them yet but it seems as smooth as the other shin products I have. Just my ..02 I know everybody has different experiences with their equipment.
  8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

my t 230 all ways had a hot start problem until last week,the dealer finally seemed to fix it ,he had to put some kind of spacer between the carb and engine block to help cut down on vapor lock ,also put a new barrel valve inside the carb ,so far so good seems to have more rpm to. from what he said people with enclosed trailers had more of a problem with this ,being no wind could cool the trimmer down when driving like in an open trailer .any way he seemed to have fix the problem with the mode he made.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The EPA... that's what.
  10. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that. Not to mention the little osha tab on top of the handle. That sux.....