Shindaiwa

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DJ Contracting, Jul 10, 2006.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I had never heard of this line before today, but I was dropping off my weedeater for warranty work and the gentleman told me about this product (Shindaiwa). He was showing me the difference in weight and also told that many LCO's here use the weedeaters and backpack blowers, however their products are all made in Japan and well this time I'll have to stick with as much made in America.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The parts are made in Japan, the majority of the product is actually assembled in Tualatin, Oregon. In fact, they just recently expanded the location. So, you get nice Japanese quality in the engine where it counts.

Also, you say "here" like you are not from around "here". Where are you from?

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Shindaiwa makes some great machines. I'm phasing out my last non shindaiwa piece which is my Echo BP750 blower. I have both their 2stroke and 4stroke machines and they're both great. I have a little problem with one of my 4strokes, but its just the vavles that need to be adjusted which is normal for them.

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

They make a good trimmer that is for sure.I have the t 230 trimmers and those are sweet. Nice and light. But when it is time to replace I cannot get the 230 anymore. So I am not sure what I am going to get. Maybe the 231's but who knows.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Shindaiwa T-20 Trimmer. ITs been around the block many times but still going strong.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Shindaiwa likes and dislikes.

Likes: 1: My T-270 trimmer-I only use this when I need "big" power for the thick stuff.
    2: My C4 split shaft with the tiller attachment (good 4 stroke torque for a tiller)

Dislikes: 1: My C4 split shaft with the hedge trimmer attachment (bad 4 stroke torque means sloooow).
    2: My 2 Shindaiwa backpack sprayers. Look up old threads on backpack sprayers and you'll hear an earful about those stiff pieces of crap Goodyear hoses on them.

All in all though, a quality brand.:)

7. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa used to be awesome equipment but the EPA is killing them.

None of their new 2 cycle stuff runs quite right and the 4 mix/ C-4 engine is nothing to get excited about either. The C-4 hedge clipper weighs a ton!

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You should be able to get the 230 trimmer for a few more years IF you make it known to your local dealer before the preseason orders go in that you would be interested in one. Shindaiwa should be able to produce and sell enough of the clean units to still be able to make and sell the "dirty" ones for a little while longer.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Also, you say "here" like you are not from around "here". Where are you from?

Uh Mid Michigan *newusflag*

10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa products are made in Japan. They are not assembled in Tualatin, Oregon. Tualatin is the wholly owned subsidiary of ShinDaiwaKogyo of Hiroshima, Japan. FYI, Their top of the line backpack blower is made by Redmax.

They have well engineered products that have come a long way since reaching U.S. shores over 20 years ago. Most of their units are shipped in one, two or three pieces depending upon the model. Usually an engine assembly, shaft assembly and handlebars for brushcutters or engine and shaft for trimmers. Still not assembled in Tualatin, unless you count a few screws at the dealer before selling as 'assembling'.

As a user since 1983, dealer from 1988 - '99, I have a little knowledge of the product line. I have sold over 6000 of their machines and serviced in excess of 15000 of these guys since '83. They are good machines that are only as good as the best dealer with parts available, like any brand made anywhere.

I have never been accused of having a 'humble' opinion.

Semper Fi.