Shindawa - is this the best

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stinky rodent, Feb 18, 2004.

1. stinky rodent

stinky rodent LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

ive heard this is the way to go.. keep in mind i would like to stick with bent shaft trimmers... i heard these are the best trimmers and blowers in the market.. any suggestions, comments, arguments?

also, who makes the toughest most efficient 2 cycle hedge trimmers?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about "bent-shaft" trimmers. The Shinadaiwa T-230 straight shaft trimmers are great. My oldest one is 4 years old and I have worked it like a dog.

In so far as blowers go, it depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to move massive piles of leaves than the Redmax is probably the strongest. If you're just moving some leaves and blowing off sidewalks and stuff then the Stihl BR420 (the one I use) is an excellant choice. For handheld blowers you're on your own, I have no idea.

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want the bent shaft?

4. Shindy is not the best by far and why bent shaft??

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Shindaiwa makes great products - no arguing that. We use predominately Shindaiwa stuff.

That being said, I really beleive that most commercial grade equipment rates in what I would call the "superior" category. Echo, Stihl, RedMax, etc. all make excellent top of the line commercial grade equipment. I'd be happy to use any of them.

But like the other said, why bent shaft? That's homeonwer's cheapo stuff. I'd never get anything but a straight shaft. Does Shin. even make a bent shaft???

6. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

shidaiwa straight shaft is the way to go. Bent shafts lose 10-15% power. Red max blowers are the best in terms reliability.

7. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

T-270 5 years old runs at least 2 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week for 7+ months a year.
    T- 230 3 years old runs about 1 to 2 hours a day for the same.
    Any more questions?

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa makes a curved shaft trimmer. It's called the 22F. I use one and really like it. Has plenty of power, IMHO. Being left-handed the curved shaft has always worked the best for me I think because of the direction in which the head rotates. I tried a straight shaft and could not get used to it. Why would it matter which trimmer style you use if it gets the job done?

9. stinky rodent

stinky rodent LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

yep, i meant curved shaft.. anyways, they save my back to be quite honest, and dittos above on the fact that you cant get used to the backwards rotation... my friend told me they are simply the best...

being that i want to use a curved shaft for back pain reasons, who out here can tell me how to spend my money on curved shaft trimmers this week..

i guess its safe to say redmax is the best blower - which model though (i want the strongest model)

what about 2 cycle hedge trimmers ? which has the best track record?

10. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm about to purchase the Shinny Ah230 hedge trimmers!