1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shindawa question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, May 30, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

should I drain the gas tanks from my shindaiwa weed wackers at the end of the day? do any of you do this?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Nope, just add some fuel stabilizer in the off season. I guess down there, you really don't have to much of an " off season":D Mahalo!
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Why would you want to drain the gas.....daily??? I let mine sit all winter (4-5 months) with the same gas in it. I use Opti-2 oil which has fuel stabilizer in it.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is no need to drain them at all. Like stated above, the only thing you need to do is at the end of the year run some stabilizer through it
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I've never heard of anyone doing this. I will say however that I for one have started puttiing stabilizer in all of my gasoline, whether it is to be used in 2-cycle mix or not. I had quite a few experiences with bad gas lately, Some less than a week old.

Bought a new pair of Stihl fs 45's the other day and of course the dealer fueled it up and test ran it before he handed it to me. Well I get to the first job that I need to use them on and they run like crap, will idle for about 20 seconds then quit. I was really p.o.ed and tried to reassure myself that maybe they needed to break-in a little bit. I get home with them and crank them up again just to re-evaluate my theory. They still wouldn't idle and ran crappy, so I dumped out the mix that the dealer put in and refilled with some of mine. Long story short, they ran like a charm. The moral of this story is: if you think your equipment might have a mechanical problem, look to the gas first.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

my friend says that it cloges the fuel filter and that it is a real pain to change.
  7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Unless of course you are using the Shindaiwa ONE two cycle oil which has fuel stabilizer in it. I would think you guys (like a couple of our customers) go through enough gas that it doesn't sit for the 14 days it usually takes to sour (without stabilizer).

Also, I'm not sure if we are allowed posting here or not since we are a repair shop, and not a lawn care service.
  8. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

No you do not drain it, and if you do have to change the fuel filter it takes less than 60 seconds.