Shindawa t230 losing power

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jannan, Sep 23, 2000.

1. jannan

jannan LawnSite Member

I am losing power on a t230 trimmer, suspect the spark arrestor(where the hell is it) on all my other trimmers its just a little screen, can't find this one. Thanks
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It is at the muffler outlet. It is held in by a tiny philips head. If that does not solve the problem, remove the muffler and clean the exhaust port. A popsicle stick works nicely.

[Edited by Keith on 09-24-2000 at 12:06 AM]
  3. jannan

jannan LawnSite Member

Thanks Keith< I saw the Phillps screw but didn't see anything I recognized as an arrestor, I'll give it a try.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If the exhaust port is just a little closed off, it will loose power and not rev up properly.
  5. pete

pete LawnSite Member

yeah it is the spark arrestor, i had the same problem. On mine it was a little rectangluer cube that was in the muffler held on by the phillips head
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you can't find it, maybe it's in the same spot mine was when I bought our Shidaiwa trimmers. In the repair kit bag. :) At least it don't plug up in the bag. If you can't find it in the muffler, pull off the muffler and I would guess that the exhaust port is closing up with carbon. It's the second most likely thing to cause loss of power.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

When you finally take the spark arrester screen off, just leave it off! Sure, you could clean it and re-install it, but sooner or later it will clog again.
  8. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Good advice bob, had the same problems with my shinnies. Took out the arrestors no problems since. The arestors are for california use only I think. So get rid of them!!!!
  9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. First thing I do to my t270's is take ou the screen, don't need it and they run stronger. Also the carbon builds up in the exaust pipe. I just jam a screwdriver in the hole and scrap it around. Or if you want take it off and clean it real good.