1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shindawa VS Stihl we are thinking about converting to stihl. 85 series any thoughts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by totallpm, Mar 26, 2002.

1. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

:blob4: Shindawa VS Stihl
  2. Dennis Watson

Dennis Watson LawnSite Member
    from 38221

Can't give comparison, but well pleased with the the Stihl. We have two of them. Also like the Husquvarna 225.
  3. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

I run an FS80R trimmer and love it- plenty of power and simplicity. The Stihl trimmer heads have only two main pieces. Three if you count the spring but that is actually attached to the spool. The throttle trigger and safety (top) trigger are thick and wide- there is not any fragile piece sticking out. Also it vibrates little and has an open style guard that actually allows the operator to see what he's doing. I once used a friend's Shindaiwa trimmer for a day and couldn't get over its extreme vibration, closed-style guard, and puzzle-like trimmer head. The Stihl also looks a lot less gimmicky. :cool:
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Converting from what? I have both, like the Shindiawa much better.
  5. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I have 4 Sthil trimmers (76 & 80) & have had carb problems with all of them. All are hard starting. I will not be suckered into buying another & am phasing in Echo's.
  6. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have been running the shindawa T-230 and T-270 and have have either clutch or shaft problems and am tired of high repairs.

I have used tanaka, robin, echo and toro trimmers in the past and the shindawa has been the best yet.

However....the Stihl 85 series of trimmers, stick edger and split boom all have interchangable parts. After pricing a few basic parts the price and availability were better. Also the lifetime warantee on ignition, clutch and shaft for commercial guys seems atractive.

This is a big investment to re equip 3 trailers and would like input if it is a waste of money.

Thanks in advance to everyones help through the years.
  7. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't used Shindawa but I'm sure it'll get the job done. I have two FS 80's and I love them. No problems at all.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

All Stihl all The time:D
    Johnny G.:cool: :cool:
  9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I have both brands and think both are great.In my area the stihl are a little cheaper.
  10. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

I own 1 Sthil FS85 whip 1 Sthil FC 75 stick 1 Sthil BG 65 hand blower 1 Sthil BR 320 1 Sthil BR 400 1 Sthil HS45 bush trimmers
    Only 1 shindaiwa T-230 whip and my whole crew hates using it.
    So with only a few hrs. on it Im selling it for a Stihl FS85r and getting the stick edger attatchment. I love all my Sthils and will never change. Everything I do have was purchased in spring 2000 so with 2 seasons under there belt we still havent replaced anything but air fillters.

Steve@ Heavenly Greenscapes LLC:angel: