Shindiaiwa M231 vs Shindiaiwa M242

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by mowerdude777, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I want a split boom for Christmas and I want a shindiaiwa I really like my T231 trimmer. So I decided to add another shindiaiwa, I want to know what will be better for my uses of it.

SPARE EDGER

ROTO TILLER

HEDGER

POLE PRUNER

BTW I will not get the attachments with the present only the engine.

If you think I should not get either and get a different modal tell me what brand and model

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

Have you located a new M231 for sale? I have looked for a new one without any luck as it has been discontinued. I have a M231 and like it even though it seems a little underpowered for edger and trimmer when the grass is thick. It works great with the pole pruner and hedge trimmer attachment. I would not be interested in the roto tiller attachment. I have one of the small Honda tillers which works great. I have looked at the M242 and it appears to me to be a "cheaper made" tool. I may purchase it though as I want to stay away from the 4 stroke [M2510]. According to the brochure the M242 with a trimmer is a tad shorter. It is not much but at 6'3" I don't want a shorter shaft.

3. mowerdude777

Ok I did not realize that the M231 was discontinoued I looked in my 2008 shindiaiwa product guide:laugh::dizzy::hammerhead: So I am also concidering an echo PAS230 since I could also dethatch with it,

BTW for those of you who know how it the echo dethather attachment

4. Tennesseepowerstroke

If I were going with the Echo, I would buy the PAS 260 for the extra power when trimming and edging.

5. mowerdude777

It will be a spare edger I have a realy nice redmax edger but if it is in the shop i will need a back up and I allready have 2 trimmers

6. Tennesseepowerstroke

My M231 became my backup trimmer today. I found a dealer with a couple of new T270 Shindaiwa trimmers. He now only has one.

7. mowerdude777

Nicee :):) Tell me how you like it after you get to use it

8. mowerdude777

Also looking in to a Husqvarna 128LD

9. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Why? You have 2 trimmers already and this isnt a Kombi type machine is it?

10. Tennesseepowerstroke

I got the chance to use it today. It has a lot better power to weight ratio than the M231. It seems to take a minute or two to warm up. My M231 is ready to go when you start it. I had considered going with a Stihl trimmer but wanted to stay away from the 4 mix. I don't think I will ever look back. I like the Stihl products but a lot are not commercial rated [300 hours]. Stihl doesn't make it very easy to find out which ones are.