1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shindiawa T230 acts fuel starved/sucks air?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddaanniieell, Jul 24, 2005.

1. ddaanniieell

ddaanniieell LawnSite Member

my shindiawa t230 starts on 1 to 3 pulls....cuts great...then starts sputtering after about 5 mins. it act like its a fuel prob. I have cleaned the fuel filter.
    it also wont start after this until it cools down.and i hear and see a bubbling in the fuel line sometimes also? I think it may be sucking air because the primer bulb wont fill up and or stay filled? could it be leaking in the gaskets in the primer configuration? I took the bulb assembly apart and all seemed ok, but it repeated same M.O.
    Thank you !!
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Try this: When it quits loosen the gas cap, tighten it back up, prime it and then see if it will run. Let me know what happens.
  3. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

Just a thought... Check the exhaust. Every time I've had a power problem with a shindawa it was due to carbon in the spark arrestor screen.
    If you haven't tried it, dis-assemble the exhaust and pull out the screens.
    This has worked for me more then once. Good luck!
  4. ddaanniieell

than you for the tips!
    #1...exhaust screen already gone..so thats not it. thank you for replying!!

#2 i will try the the cap idea and get back.

I am thinking that the tank vent (one of the 3 tubes coming from the tank) may be blocked also....but i was able to blow air through it. I will try negitive pressure this time. thank you again!
  5. ddaanniieell

SORRY TO SAY...THE CAP DIDNT FIX IT.I took the tank breather / vent apart and cleaned it also. it seems like it is gurgleing in the carb...even with the cap off the tank. i am thinking the gaskets/diaphram in the priming pump assembly are leaking ugh!! how many man hrs do i spend before i just spring for a brand new unit?? not to many more!!
    thank you again for the advice! daniel
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to say I'm having the very same problem with my Stihl as far as the primer bulb goes.

Will not pump itself full and it will leak itself totally empty.
    So you have to be careful while priming so you do not flood it without knowing.

I think there is a check valve below the bulb and it has gone south.
    So when I say the bulb is leaking down, I mean internally, not externally around the bulb.

Yours wouldn't happen to be a ZAMA carb would it?
  7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

make sure all of your fuel lines are made of the clear plastic, not the black rubber! the rubber rots and its hard to see the cracks, (for all of you who own an ECHO with black rubber fuel lines, the fuel line is a recalled item, and an echo dealer should replace all of the fuel lines no charge) Also check to see that the rubber grommet in the tank that the lines go through is in good shape.

Lastly, I was having a similar problem with my ECHO trimmer, the bowl wouldn't stay full and it would bog and speed up and bog again, cut out, and so on. Turns out, I called my dealer and he said if I had a "z66 BLAH BLAH" carb, that they have a new better carb that performs way better and isn't as prone to dirt/dust issues. It was 48 bucks, and after putting that thing on, it was well worth it! Not a problem since.

Good luck,

Oh, TRASH the spark arrestor screens!
  8. Richard Martin

As long as the trimmer makes power and does the job don't throw it away.

You can do 3 things at this point:

1: The easiest thing to do is just replace the carb.
    2: Take the carb apart and clean it. Even with a fuel filter and a screen inside the carb they can somehow still manage to get tiny grains of sand/dirt in them. I've had it happen.
    3: Rebuild the carb.
  9. Richard Martin

If you have an older Stihl then there may be a problem with the carb. My Stihl edger was the same way. From the day I bought it it was a little tricky to get started but since I already had a BR400 I was used to that. As time went on it got worse and worse until it wouldn't start at all. I called my dealer and he said there was an updated carb for my edger. I put the new carb on and it runs way better then it ever had.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Richard,

Yes the trimmer is a few years old. But it has always cranked and ran very well. The current carb is a ZAMA C1Q-S63A.... which brings me to something someone else told me which sounds helpful....

Seems to sound like the right way to go to me.
    Would you agree, disagree, or say I dunno... ???