Shindiawa T230 for $259 & free sprayer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Mar 26, 2003.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got a flyer in the mail today from Shindiawa offering a T230 for $259.95 PLUS free Shin 2 gal sprayer. My buddy was looking for a new trimmer so we both went up to the local shop and showed them the ad, which they were unaware of, and bought 2 new trimmers. The dealer didn't have the T230 in stock so we conned him into giving us the T231 instead. To all you Shindiawa fans out there, does this sound like a decent deal?

2. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

You "conned" your dealer into a new EPA model that has a catalytic converter...good job....

Do you know who expensive those are to replace when they go bad??

The T-230 is the much better choice until the EPA totally bans them.

I am not a fan of Shindaiwa as I have had a couple of their units and had parts supply issues. They are also not quite on top of the EPA game as well...

FYI...watch out..the new EPA units from Shindaiwa, Husqvarna and some Stihl units (backpack blowers) have catalytic converters that are very expensive to replace

3. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

Yeah, that's a good deal. I got a 230 last yer and gave $329 with tax. I love it!!!

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Ed. Was the flyer from Roberts' Supply? Sounds like it. The dealers are usually unaware of these specials but I have always found someone to honor them. I have been using T230's for about 6 years, and if I get one of these flyers, I think I might go buy another :) Most dealers around here are getting $285 (MSRP) around here, so that ain't bad. I have no experience with T231, but I think I know of a dealer who might still have a 230 or two on the wall. Anything else in there? LE260's?

I have nothing but praise for the Shindaiwa stuff, even though I don't particularly care for the distributor. Echo rules, I'm glad you are having better luck out of Echo than I ever did :)

5. mowerman90

Hi Keith,

e-mail me and I'll see if I can scan the flyer for you. Yes, there were deals on all the Shindiawa stuff.

6. William Camp

William Camp LawnSite Member

I dont know much about the T230 I have stihl my self

7. mowerman90

Echo rules,

You know, I used to think Echo made the best trimmer out there. I still think they make a fine product but the power to weight ratios aren't what I'd like. I ran a Echo 2501 for years, then a 2601 and thought they were great until I bought my Husqvarna 325L. It was lighter and for the type of trimming I do, it seems to be much stronger. As for the Shindaiwa, I'll start giving it a through test tomorrow.

8. mowerman90

Echo rules,

How expensive are these new mufflers to replace? If I ever have one go bad (I'll bet there aren't too many people on this forum that have EVER had a 2 cycle muffler go bad) I imagine I'd just take it apart, throw out the guts and put it back on. Or, search around in my junk pile under the shop bench and find an old muffler with the same bolt spread and use it. I really don't see how it would be much of an issue. You wouldn't by any chance be an Echo dealer would you?

9. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Ed,

The mufflers don't go bad..they clog up with carbon etc. over time. The new catalyst mufflers have to be replaced not repaired as the catalyst is a part of the actual muffler.

No, I am not an Echo dealer just a loyal customer for years...The reason I know so much about this issue is that I have a very good local dealer that keeps me up to date on the EPA issues. (He sponsered a service type training school this winter for landscapers and cities.)

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hmm.. probably why they are trying to get rid of them with this deal :p ;)
    My Stihl dealer used to carry Shindaiwa and I was looking at it alittle but he was truthful with me and said they were gonna drop them in '03 (this was '02) so guess what I walked out with.. a Stihl FS80 :cool:

Haven't heard alot of bad about Shinny's though and the prices did seem pretty good but I wasn't sure I wanted to own something that they were not going to carry in the near future...