Shindiwia 8510 Out ,Stilh Br600 in

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D & J Lawn Care, Jan 14, 2008.

1. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

my shindiwia 8510 died today ,it did a good run though 2 years the valves or something busted loose inside then seized talked to tech and probally thinks because of using Opt Mix oil 100 to 1 made it to hot .Bought a br600 very happy not as mush juice as shindiwia but not far from it.But the fit and finish of the machine is solid well built and thought of and not as loud . I also have the stilh fc90, and ihave the echo261t ,230,shindiwia 260.and had the 8510 but the stilh products are well thought of from the throttle wire running on top so not to wear on the weedeater racks would like to switch all to stilh soon

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear you lost your 8510.

That's BS about the Opti-2.
    If it's an oil related failure, it's cut and dried when you break it down for a look.
    And if it was an oil related failure, Opti's warranty guarantee would cover it.

The valve train probably just failed or got way out of spec.
    It is after all a high reving 4 stroke engine... so 2 years is probably about it's expected life.

You'll probably see about the same length of service out of the Stihl 4-Mix products.
    They are basically the same thing...

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Thats not the first time Ive heard bad news about the Shindaiwa C4 stuff...I believe I'll continue to stear clear of that technology.

Just curious though, arent you concerned with Stihl being "4-mix" and having similar valve problems? Seems like guys are always saying "use high-octane gas" "use synthetic oil".....

All seems to high maintenance to me.

4. D & J Lawn Care

I figured 2years like envy says it's probally the life I had to get another 4mix I'm solo with 70 accounts and 2 commercials and i need the extra power to save time the dealer wanted me t o get the 2cycle shindiwia 630 but i demo and need that extra juice for parking lots and i always use prem gas and synthetic just seem worth it in the long run

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A blower should last a lot longer than what you are getting.....I got Echo units that are over 5 years old with heavy usage. There is a reason the local dealer only sold 6 BR600 last year and over 500 big PB755 Echo units.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Just 2 years on a 4 cycle???? I figured more than that but.......Im a solo operator and maybe dont do as much as some but Im going on 5 years on my stihl br340 and its as good as day 1......I just thought the new stuff would of lasted as long

wayne

7. D & J Lawn Care

well another tch from a different dealer told me the 8510 has 16 moving parts in the engine and at a constant high rev is bound to have issues compared to to 2cycles which has 6 moving parts ,so i give up engine life for power

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep... I had no 4-mix troubles, but didn't want to risk having several.
    I still think that was the right decision.

9. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 8510 less than a year old and they have been in the shop several time. I have a stihl br550 also for 3 years and it has never been in the shop im going with stihl for blowers
    and shind fort weedeaters

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

that should teach you to use oil/gas mix at 100/1- i hope you dont plan on using opti 2 in your new br600. it should have sthil ultra at 50/1