shiny t230 any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Apr 22, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Just wondering what everyone thought of the shin t230? Looks light and solid. Is it powerful? As good or better than redmax? tr2301s?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

My good friend uses a 230 and a T261 and both are awesome! When I have to get a second trimmer to go with my JD XT140 it will be a T242 or higher but if you are not getting crazy with your trimmers, than the 230 is more than powerful.

Shoot my LE231 only bogs down in the thickest St. Augustine overgrowth on sidewalks. I think I will end up with the LE261 one of these days as well.

I totally love Shindaiwa products and feel that after using Echo/Stihl/Husqvarna/and John Deere hand held stuff, they lead the pack for me! JD and Husky are both a very close second! (Given that Kawasaki makes the engines for JD I would assume that Kaw has it going on too) But for my money, I will buy Shindaiwa hand held and my next BP Blower will be the Stihl BR600.

Hope this has helped a little.

3. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

its a nice weedeater, i got one and so does my buddy.... solid light and dependable

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

best light weedeater there is

5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

My friend, the more I hear from you, the more I am convince that you are like me, and these are you toys!!!! You want to justify to buy a new trimmer, let me tell you, the two FS80 are going to be hard to beat, you are going to resolve the intermitent clutch problem one way or the other. Maybe if you buy a new toy, it will just disappeared.:laughing::laughing:

Having said, this is how I would do it. From all the talk ( writing ) with you, I don't think you have a short reach hedge trimmer, a little cultivator etc. So:

1) Get a multi-tool unit that have short reach hedge trimmer. Shindaiwa and Husqvarna are the only two that have this articulate hedge trimmer attachment. Shindaiwa M242 will be a good one. You can justisfy that you can buy pole pruner, cultivator, sweep in the future if you need them. That you are not just buying another trimmer where you already have two of the best!!!!

2) Think of a small Mantis/Yard Boss type of mini cultivator. You can do weeding, planting, tilling, dethatching etc. I just bought a Mantis Honda engine. This sucker rocks!!!!

This is from an experienced old guy that have many years of experience making excuses to buy toys!!!! The difference is I have to make excuse to my wife and you have to for yourself!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

And yes, you deserve all the smilie:laugh:

6. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

Great Weedeater. The one I tried was several years old though as the 230 is no longer sold in CA. The T231 is a DOG thouh, the cat really restricts the muffler. Avoid the 231 or get the 242 if u want to stick to shindi

7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Do you have experience with T242? What I told S Man is actually what I want to get, a short reach articulate hedge trimmer and Shindaiwa is a good choice. I agree T231 engine is smaller and water down by cat muffler.

My choice is either Husky or M242 multi tool.:waving:

Too bad we Californians miss out a lot of good stuff. Do you have noise ordinance too?

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, its a great trimmer. I've had that exact model for 8 years now and it still starts on the 1st pull 95% of the time. Rarely does it need 2 pulls. Its powerful and light for residentials. If it doesn't come with the speed feed head, Id suggest to spend the few extra coins to get it, because it is worth it. Im sure it will though because I bought a T260 approx 2 weeks ago and it came with the speed feed head.

9. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

I've got a loud @#$ echo PB-413 BP blower that I use around 8am in residential areas and no one has said anything yet. I'm currently using the T2510 C4 for my everyday trimmer and it has more torque than the T242 I tried, but the T242 is more than enough if you're just trimming grass in residential areas. I've ran about 2 gallons of Shindi one oil + Chevron 89 in it and it still idles and runs great. Doesn't seem to have alot of build up yet around the arrestor screen. Haven't taken it apart yet to look at the valves, but it's definately quieter and torquier than my old Echo 230.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I might do that if the need arises to get one. My dealer doesn't carry the t230 anymore.:cry: I would like to try shiny one of these days and yes I like my toys!!!:waving: And I know the fs85s are going to hard to kill. I run them with the guard off so that helps a little.:laugh::laugh: