1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Shipping Mowers (?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CWG, Mar 31, 2005.

1. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

I'm going to ebay a mower, how on earth do you ship them? Its a walk behind.
    Just slap it on a pallet, get some rachet tie downs and wrap it in something?
    I think offering shipping would increase its value, no?

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Usually people can crate them and ship them. Usually retail businesses or warehouses offer shipping on these large items. Shipping costs can be quite expensive, especially to a residence. I personally wouldn't bother.

3. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

strap it to a pallet with 2 tie downs and take it to www.forwardair.com shipped a new 36 hydro to cali for $280

4. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Get some pallets and make your own crate. Be sure to tie down the mower some how either with straps or maybe metal banding if you can get a hold of some. Call around for rates. Their rates vary. I was looking into shipping a WB Fedex Freight wanted over $600 R&L carriers only wanted $200. Call Around!!!

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Drain the fuel & oil
    Remove the handles, pad them and shrink wrap them onto the mower
    Band the mower to a pallet
    (lower the tire pressure, attach the mower to the pallet & inflate the tires)
    Attach a copy of the shipping info to the pallet
    Shrink wrap the the pallet and mower together
    Attach a copy of shipping info to the outside of the shrink wrap

Almost any common carrier will take this type of packaging and you will save money if you deliver the mower to the shipper's terminal.

6. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Thanks, I can certainly take the handles off and wrap it as suggested.
    good stuff.
    I'm just south of Cleveland Ohio, there are literally hundreds of docking shippers in this area.

CWG

7. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

nobody taking you up on the ferris I assume?

8. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

:waving:
    payup
    :D