Shirt or not...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Royallawncare, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

In the following weeks i have developed a very unattractive farmers tan which i am very proud of because of the money i earned during those hours in the sun however as much as i am proud i would like to change it.. my question is whether or not you think it is unprofessional to take your shirt off while mowing does this detract from the image of your business and should anyone ever do this?

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Totally unprofessional. If your shirt is on fire, then yes, remove it but other than that....

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mind taking my shirt off if I am in an area where I am out of view of the public and the customer isn't home.

Otherwise, I keep it on.

4. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

Keep it on! Work on getting rid of the farmers tan when not working.

5. 1brilord

1brilord LawnSite Member

I only mow with my shirt off. I have a nice dark tan too. I do not have any commercial lawns so I think I can get away with it. I have a pretty fit body so it is not an eye sore for other people. Most people will say its unprofessional that are in the biz. I really think most people that drive by and see you really dont care. It has been 105 degrees out here so my shirt probably would start on fire if I put it on so really I am doing it as a safety precaution.

6. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

Leave the shirt on and sport that farmers tan....Lawn farmer

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What you decide to do now as far as UV protection,can be the difference between having skin cancer when your older or not.Most skin cancers are from damage that was done when the person was young.If your not protecting your self now,the surgeon will be taking big chunks of your body off later.So 1brilord may have a beutifull fit body with a real nice tan now.But end up with a gross ugly body later from where he's had to have skin cancers removed all over when he's 30.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and it is the most scrub like thing you can do..........

9. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take your shirt off. It gives you a bad image.

My brother and I took our shirts off for the first time yesterday because we made a huge exception. It was a huge lawn, it was 95 degrees, back in the woods away from the road, and we mow it for a family acquaintance. For the thousands of other mowings we've done, we've kept the shirts on.

10. chuck_jax

chuck_jax LawnSite Member

Dude,

Unless you're wearing 30 SPF, keep the shirt on. You would do well to wear a hat, too.

Skin cancer is awful. My dad has had surgery 3 times because of it. In 30 years, you might thank me.