Shirt Question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by kc2006, Jan 5, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Have a quick question on shirts. I have a chance to get shirts embroidered for cheap and was wondering if anyone else uses embroidery instead of silkscreen for their company shirts? These would be worn while working and they're just t-shirts.

My concern is the embroidery rubbing up against my back or just the fact that its there and embroidered areas are normally alittle stiff. So I'm wondering how comfortable they would be while working. I'm having a jacket done now by a friend, it was 25 dollars to set it up and its only 7 dollars per item...which is dirt cheap. Normally they get a dollar per 1000 stiches and this is 14"x8" logo, so theres alot of stiches. The cheapest price I've found for silkscreen was 80 set up fee and 9 dollars per shirt. No brainer but I still wonder how comfortable it will be.

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

im looking into shirts too. the setup for embroidery sounds really good. So does the screen print.
    I dont think it would be uncomfortable to work in an embroidered shirt.. I wear under shirts so it wouldnt matter to me.
    Print shirts are just cheaper to replace so i am not as worried to dirty or tear them. A stitched shirt i would be upset if i ruined it.
    this is what i got qouted and it includes buying the shirt from them.

For white t-shirts: $11.90 for 3 color left chest and 3 color back.
    For Hooded sweatshirts: $33.50

Screen set-up is $15 per color per design. In this case there are 6 set-ups.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The embroidery won't last in the wash over and over and over..like 3 times a week wash no way not for long

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We only have a small area on the breast and we never feel it, I don't know about the back.

sheshovel: We have had ours on shirts now for over 4 years and they look like new. I think they last a lot better than the screen work, JMO

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I use embroidered red collared polo style shirts embroidered on the front left chest only for formen and management. Crew members wear screen printed red tee-shirts and sweat-shirts printed large on the back with our logo, name, city and phone, and name only on the front left chest. All also wear embroidered jackets and hats and olive green work uniform shorts and/or pants and that works the best for us.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have embroidered T-shirts, but it's only on the left breast as well. Size is about 2.5" x 4" I don't even notice it's there. On your back would definately be a different story...

As for wear in the wash, Iv'e had my 6 shirts for 3 years now, they get worn say, 6 days a week, 6 or 7 months a year. The stitching still looks NEW. I do nothing fancy when washing them either. They just get thrown in the machine with detergent and dried in the dryer. I think they recommend to turn embroidered and screen printed shirts inside out to wash, but I don't.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Embroidered is all we use,they will outlast screen printing as far as rubbing we have no problems + they look better.

8. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

What are you talking about?? And you think silk-screen will?????:confused:

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We have been wear embroidered shirts,sweat shirts & hats now for years...They hold up much better then the silk screening if you ask me.When I first started I used the screening they looked good don't get me wrong,but they don't last as long.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I am simply amazed! I know I pick on you a lot Shovel but dang everytime you post what you think is a sincere answer to a question dang if you aren't wrong 90% of the time! So, your signature lines really are true. ;)

I use both screen printing and embroidery as I said earlier and promise you that as others have already said that the embroidery will WAY outlast the screen printing!!! I have to replace screened stuff every year while I rarely have to replace embroidered stuff. I mean think about it. Screen printing is nothing more than PAINT on a shirt so it will peel and crack badly over time between the sun, elements and washing and drying.

Sometimes by your answers I really wonder if you are even in business at all, esp the green industry........Geeezzz.