shirts, 100%cotton or 50/50%poly cotton

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by happy, Jun 7, 2008.

1. happy

happy LawnSite Member

I do not know the actual truth, which is the coolest shirt. My screen printer says that the 50/50 poly cotton shirts are more breathable, but others have said that 100% cotton are cooler shirts. Also I have bought some work uniform pants that are 65%poly 35%cotton blend. What do you guys who have had shirts done up wear?
  2. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

I use 100% cotton from the screenprinter for my own business, but work part time at a golf course and wear 100% polyester shirts there. Starter Dri-Star shirts...I buy them at Wal-mart for about $10 a piece, essentially the same as Under-Armor. I'll tell you that the poly shirts are like wearing nothing at all, but with the benefits of appearence and protection from the sun. If I could get the shirt maker to use them for my business I would, the cotton ones just saturate with water and stick to your body.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

5050 is cooler than 100 cotton. dries faster
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i usually have to take 2 shirts. take one off when its soaked and put on another one. then when the first one is dry i'll switch back. in case you all didnt know, i sweat alot. :laugh:
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Cotton- the more the better and the wetter the cooler....long shirts.
  6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

all my golf shirts are 100% poly
  7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

the shirts that i have for the business, i got from the silk screener, they are 99% cotton and 1 % poly. i noticed when the shirt gets soaked from sweat, i do keep cooler , then when i first start out and the shirt is dry. seems like a self air
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Pure cotton is technically better, but 50/50 is cheaper and I really couldn't tell you the difference.
  9. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't wear tee shirts, I wear used short sleeve uniform shirts that I think I pay about $2/shirt. I am fat, and if I wear a tee shirt, I sweat about twice as much in a tee shirt.:laugh::laugh:
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well this is a timely subject, I have been doing some personal first hand research for the "coolest" shirts this last week.

I can say, without a doubt, that the 100% polyester shirts ARE COOLER to wear than 100% cotton. Of course they MUST be a open type stitching. The more open the better. I have a couple "golf" type polo shirts, and they don't even feel like I'm wearing a shirt! The colar kinda stinks though, that gets warm around the neck no matter what.

Next I tried, went to Walmart, and for a whole $6.00 each picked up 4 of the "Dry-More" shirts off the rack, 4 different colors, white, red, green, and grey. I was impressed as heck with how they "breathe". I can trim in the 95+ degree temps and still feel human. Now, of course the WHITE shirt is the best, since it reflects the sunlight more than darker colors, unfortunately it shows stains/dirt more, but it's a work shirt, and cheap, I'm going to Walmart here shortly and buying a few more if they have my size in white.

Now, The "Under Armor" shirt... Spent about $30 (24.99 + shipping) for one of these in "grey" which is more blue than grey, but anyway, I wore it today and OMG it dosn't "breathe" at ALL. I am seriously dissapointed to say the least. I figured it would be the BEST since it's the most expensive and the "name brand" but I think not. I noticed right off that at 8:30 am I was sweating and the shirt was WET. none of the other poly shirts I have even get wet from sweat. And the wind was blowing 20++ MPH today, I could not feel the wind going thru the shirt. When I got home at around 4:30 I changed into one of the walmart shirts, also grey, and it was noticably cooler feeling than the expensive one.

Previously, my "summer shirts" were just cheapo fruit of the loom white shirts that come in a 6 pack. THey are thin as heck and as cool of a shirt as I had found for the summer heat. Compared to the Poly shirts, even they feel hot now.

Hope this helps someone out!