Shirts vs Skins

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clay144, Nov 20, 2003.

1. clay144

clay144 LawnSite Member

Hello All,

We are buying a lawn care business and I was wondering what the rule on clothing is. Are jeans a must when cutting grass or are shorts fine and do the cutters have to wear shirts while working?

Has anyone ever been charged by the Safety and Health people for anything like this either?

Any suggestions on this is greatly appreciated!

Clay144

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Clay-Right off, if you want to maintain a professional image-SHIRTS ON all the time.At the shop, in the trucks, and especially on the site. Next, go for a more professional style of clothing other than blue jeans, say khakis or Carhartt's. If you send guys out in blue jeans and no shirts, it just makes everyone else you are competing against look the better. Our dress code is a supplied shirt with logo from us, and the employee wears khaki pants or shorts of their own. OSHA has made frequent stops here in Morgantown, but never heard of anyone cited for not wearing pants while cutting. I wear shorts most of the time, and we all wear chapps from W.E Chapps when trimming.You get a mild level of protection, but you can take em off, and shake em out, and no grass on your legs or trucks.Hope this helps, and good luck with the biz venture.payup

3. clay144

clay144 LawnSite Member

Thanks Impact!

Pretty much what I had in mind. Shirt with Logo, shorts or long pants are up to the cutters. I like the idea of no jeans though. Khakis or Carharts sound great and thanks for the tip about the chapps.

Did some lawn work earlier this year, wore shorts and my shins paid for it.

What about Orange vests while working on commercial properties and visible from the road?

Clay

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Jeans are out. Heavy and thick IMOP. I only wear Khaki shorts (million scars on legs though) because of the heat we get here, and because I'm not a girl.:D I do wear light, long khaki pants when it get cooler or if I'm doing real brush cutting (2'+ with trimmer) Always wear a shirt, image is important but dont forget the skin cancer etc. Basically, look pro but dress to your conditions and job at hand.

5. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

I feel from my own work experience, If i was to work in khaki pants and a polo shirt i'd feel like Im going to catholic school (nothing wrong with that...) I prefer blue jeans and even a polo shirt for crew leaders look good to me. T-shirts with company's logo and jean shorts if the crews want it is fine lookin to me. Just as long as their shirts are tucked in and belts are worn! And no holes!

6. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Always remember, Image is everything!! Keep equip nice, keep a professional image, do a professional job, keep lots of biz

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We wear jeans with embroidered polo type shirts. This is fine for the landscape maintenance work we do. It's work. For hot weather, shorts are allowed, but they are a khaki type cargo shorts, or canvas green cargos. No cut-offs, Hawaiin shorts, etc. And NO BAGGY apparel, either. If they want to wear that stuff, they can go hang out on the street corner in the ghetto, but they have no place in MY oufit! I don't care WHERE they came from, or WHAT their "beliefs" are. I don't play that "yo yo yo what up - Homey be hookin' up on the bling bling, yo. Ya know wa I'm sayin' yo?"
    You can take that crap right back to where you got it, and go work at McDonald's or something, because there's no room for it here.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ROFL Runner! You can't believe how many of that type we see here in a college town.So true...:D

9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

They know....they see you....they judge you....if you do not make an effort to look professsional, they won't make an effort to call you. Jeans aren't bad, but khaki pants and/or shorts look better in my opinion. As far as shirts.... Some of the guys who work for me would be too embarassed to remove their shirts anyway:D

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone of my guys takes off his shirt while he's on the clock he will no longer be working for me. They know the rules.