shirts yes or no?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trimline, Jan 27, 2001.

1. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

During the summer months it can get pretty hot around here.
    I was wondering if any of you make your guys wear shirts on residential jobs. As of right now I don't but I am not sure if it is to unproffesional.

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider companies that do not wear shirts as being unprofesional. It gets hot down here in Texas and with future employees it will be a must to wear the correct attire on the job. We wear T-shirts with logo and with the Texas heat it's not that bad.

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I'd allow shirtless workers on residential or high traffic commercial jobs, but tank tops or other light attire (preferrably with your logo!) would seem acceptable.

If their cutting away fields in an out of the way place I would think shirtless work would be just fine...

-TGC

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Shirts off would be a bit unproffesional, but if you get your company logo on some tank tops or on sleeveless shirts (from the factory, not all torn and ripped) would keep them cool and give off a professional image at the same time.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

SOME SORT OF SHIRT.One thing ive found to my
    suprize is that most t shirts other than loose muscle
    type actually hold body heat more than light
    button ups.Also a light color is advisable.
    We have a service in town that uses an almost
    black . hottest thing ive seen.nice looking
    but not at 95 degrees

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Being in Central Florida in the summer is certainly hot. But not wearing shirts just looks unprofessional. After working here for 11 years in this business I've found that one of the hottest shirts to wear is a 100% Cotton T-Shirt. Once the cotton gets sweaty it takes forever to dry out. I've found much better luck with the 50/50 blend T-Shirts. They still get wet from all the sweat. But they seem to dry much faster. They also don't shrink as much and seem to last much longer. Years ago I purchased some collared shirts from Wearguard that were what they called "open weave". They were fairly cool also. I think you can still get them through Nebs now.

7. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Ask yourselves this question. If you were the customer, would you: A) Rather have a lawn crew that only did a so-so job because they were so hot and uncomfortable?, or B) Want a lawn crew that did a phenomenal job because they were comfortable and cool?

I think that the job should speak for itself. If someone is comfortable, he/she is going to be more productive and do a better job. I know that some people will say 'but we do a fantastic job even when were hot' or 'it's not THAT bad' .. well, let me tell you .. it could be better. You're employees will benefit from a lax in this area. They will work harder, faster, and do a better job.

Next thing you'll tell me is that you don't allow your employees to sweat because it isn't clean and proper.

(There are, however, lines to be drawn. We once knew a lawn crew who wore dresses for an entire day of work - and yes, this was an all male company)

StiCK-NinE

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not an option here. Shirt remains on. :)

All kidding aside, I do think it is best for everyone to wear a shirt.

Jodi

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Shirts on. Here in NC we have hot summers with high humidity, just as Jodi said it's not an option just have lots of shirts. I can't imagine my plumber, a/c repairman, pool guy, or whatever coming shirtless. Yuck!!

10. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I never wear a shirt when its hot, unless going to talk to a customer. In my area I dont think anyone cares, in fact i know for a fact its gotten me additional jobs from women. Either way to each his own.