Shocked at Turf Magazine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimK, Feb 16, 2001.

1. JimK

JimK TURF MAGAZINE Publisher

This is Jim Kendrick, publisher of TURF Magazine. I posted a thread yesterday saying I'm bored with the covers we do in TURF and I was asking you folks to think about photos you have or might take of your crews at work, funny stuff, beautiful stuff, whatever.

Eric Elm (thanks, Eric) send me a couple ... and that was it. So should I believe that there is no interest ... or that I just didn't get the message across. If no interest, I'd love to find out why. Maybe TURF isn't accepted as well as I have thought -- even though we have the largest circulation in the industry. I KNOW it's not because you folks are humorless. Lawnsite has been great fun -- along with containing lots of very useful information.

What gives?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Some people may just not have responed now but you may get a flood of pics later. I think most everyone here would think it is a great idea. Some of us might get famous.

3. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

JimK this sounds like a great idea, soon as I get some photo`s this spring count me in !

PS. TURFF`S a great mag.

4. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

You have to remember that the page updates so fast that you miss alot a messages if you are not log on all the time.
    This is the first time that I saw the message and I am the web at least 4 x,s a day.
    You just have to post it more than once.

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim...It's a great idea...except I don't have any pictures. I was debating driving my WB into the 9th hole pond to get on the cover. ;) Seriously though, you guys have a great publication which gets read in my house before any of the others. One question though...I live in PA and see that I get the Northeast edition. When I look at advertisements which list dealer locations there are none for PA/NJ/DE. Only for NY and up. Is that due to no advertising for PA?

Keep up the great work...and when I have a picture worthy of the cover of your mag I'll definitely send it to you for a looksee.

Glen

6. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,
    Being that a large percentage of us still have snowcover could also be a hindrance to your lack of photos. I for one would love to send you some shots of what you are looking for but most of us probably only have stills of our account base, typical WOW! lawn shot. Not too interesting. Now that you have given us a purpose, I'm sure many would love to submit. The best time to ask for fall pictures from us is in the fall while we're doing cleanups, lawns in the mowing season, etc.. We're not like stock photographers who have an ample supply of a given subject on hand. You'll have to look at our brothers from the south to help you out on this one cuz us northerners have more snow than we know what to do with. Sorry we couldn't be of more help. Maybe this will give us something to shoot for (no pun intended) this coming season. Thanks again for thinking about us.

Mike

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with everyone else. You might have to wait to get some pics.

You guys did a nice job in this issue of Turf too. <b>Finally</b> an article that even the smallest LCO can use. I'm talking about the article on walk-behind maintenance. I would never have given a thought to blade timing.

Thanks!

Rich

8. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

Jim, You have a great mag. I dont have any pics for you but I will get some this spring for your consideration.
    P.S. My wife hates the size of your mag, only because I always leave it laying around on the coffee table at home. LOL

9. JimK

JimK TURF MAGAZINE Publisher

Thanks folks. I'll be patient. And yes, that 9th hole sounds like a good one. Mug shots of your crew would work too (don't mean the police shots or thumb prints). I rec'd a photo last year from a LCC bragging that his crew has the best teeth of any crew on the East Coast. Stupid me, I misplaced it when we moved to our new building this summer. I also met a guy in Louisville who PROMISED me a shot of his "super truck" on site with his DCs and crew mixing it up at an industrial park. Not in yet.

10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

I think most of the guys on here do not have a morgue file that they could just pull out photos for you. I myself having a Visual Design background do not have one either. I should have, so I plan to start one now!

There are a few on here, like Eric, that of course seem to have a dual interest in the Green Industry as well as the techie side of the electronic media. They seem to have a endless supply of pictures and wealth of knowledge for this subject.

I would imagine that, like a few have stated already, you will get plenty of pictures in the future now that you have made it a known request. I can see all the cameras snaping now. Guys will be looking for something to take pictures of for you. I know I will! I can imagine all the wheels out there that are turning now thinking about staging some shots like the WB in the 9th hole pond. You should be able to get some really good pictures in a few months!

Also, I am new to your TURF magazine. I have just recieved my second issue and I think it is a great resource of information. I wish I would have had it sooner, like when I started 8 years ago. Thanks for providing such a nice trade magazine.