Shocks are an option on a 4500?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ponyboy, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

My friend just bought a new 4500 dump it rides like crap,we looked and saw no rear shocks or sway bar the mounting brackets are there but thats it. He called the dealer they said it was an option. Soundds like BS I think the body company forgot to put them back and the dealer is covering fot them. Anybody ever hear this before?

2. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats nuts. At least the tires are still round on those 4500's, right?

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

my goodness!! havent heard of that before!!

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Ask them to who you in the option list where it says that. That should straighten things up

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Wow wonder how much that option is, i though most trucks came standard with a suspension. Guess i was wrong on that one. Next thing you know when you order a truck they are gona ask you if you want tires on the rims or just gona drive it on the metal.

6. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

are waiting to see what happens the rear shocks and sway bar with the hardware and then instlation is around $4000

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No shocks is that even legal? just curious, why would they need to remove the shocks to install the dump in the first place?

8. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I'd contact manufacture. Call them. I cant belive a truck dosent have a rear suspension;)

9. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That is odd that GM wouldn't put shocks on a 4500. See if the frame is even drilled for the upper shock mount.

You need to have shocks on the rear or you will get a rough ride like being experienced now and it is also hard on the rear springs.