1. Ben W

Ben W LawnSite Member

Hi Guys. I need new shocks does anyone have any advice on what they like best. I was thinking about the new Monroe Reflex shock seems pretty heavy duty for about 39.95 each.
    My truck is a 98 ram 1500 extended cab 4x4 318 5 speed
    with a 7'6" Boss plow. Thanks Ben.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I don't have a recommendation on shocks, but just curious, how do you like plowing with a 5 speed?

~I KNOW how you like the plow, it's a Boss! ;)

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard a lot of good things about Bilsteins. They react well, and are great for towing... so I would imagine that they'd be good for plowing as well.

Welcome aboard!

-Tim

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

my experience is whatever you purchase they will be worn out by the end of plowing season, with all the moe up and down on the front end it seems they don't last long
    ,i get hd gas charged each fall from napa

my older truck gets a coil over type munroe

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

LOL my rear shocks the dust covers rusted away after two years, Im not sure if they even do anything back there anymore, the front shocks rusted away also, I replaced them with HD Monroes, now they too are rusted away. Dont think Ill spend more than $10 anymore for a shock which wont last a season.

6. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Ben.......Gee...Maybe I should think about new shocks I have never replaced them yet after 6 years and 100,000 miles on my 94' 2500 Dodge.They are not rusted out but not sure if they are doing any good,it seems OK.Maybe its time to change the oil as well!! JOHN

7. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

try a set of Rancho 5000's or if you want to be high
    tech a set of 9000's.the 9000's are 5 way adjustable
    with a small knob on the shock or you can get the in cab control kit and change the settings from the cab.i put a set of 5000's on my dads 2500 diesel dodge and he loves em.
    in addition also put a set of B F G radial all terrain TA's
    with the new ko tread design on , had this truck in the black hills huntin,bustin all of our own trails on the loggin roads thru 14-18 inches of snow,some drifts higher.
    those tires are excellent!
    dan

8. Ben W

Ben W LawnSite Member

Lazer, I like plowing with my 5 speed. I would have went with a automatic but every one knows about dodge automatics.
    I have 49,000 on it and have never replaced the clutch.

9. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

Ben
    I've had great luck with the TRAILMASTER SSV shocks. My Napa HD's went one year, without a plow!!! The SSV's (now with plow) are heading for year three. They are probably a little more than the monroe's but I'd say they're worth the difference.
    Matt