Shoe Adjustment...

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 19, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to where you guys set the shoes on your plows? Right now I have them set just barely above the cutting edge (so the cutting edge is touching, but the shoes are not.) My owners manual says to set them 1/4" to 1/2" off the ground for hard surfaces, and 1" to 2" off the ground for gravel or loose surfaces.

What have you found to work best? Thanks again...

-Tim

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i do not use them on any of my trucks

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I set mine in the back of the garage, sometimes I set em in front of the door so the wind wont blow it shut... ;)

4. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I'm glad you asked that question. I just bought a new Fischer this year. I've never plowed or owned one before. I've never noticed these on a plow before and have been trying to figure out the best use for them. Now I know they make a good door stop. Thanks. The best I could figure was to keep the blade from damaging concrete/pavement.

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I probably have enough plow shoes to fill the bed of a pick up. I have one truck that carries them to use on a gravel drive.

Shoes don't really do all that much good, even on gravel.

Geoff

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Millions of people out of work, and we have a room full of comedians. LOL.

So basically what you all are saying, they really don't serve a purpose?

-Tim

7. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm with Geoff I just gave away all but a couple,so as to where to set them,on your mantle might be nice.Might have them bronzed and make candle holders.

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I to have mnay pair of shoes, all collecting dust. I have not found many uses on the plow for them, they really dont work. John Allin has a great shoe story that he may share some day.
    Of course since we started using alternative material cutting edges, the need for shoes is completely gone for all surfaces. On gravel they skim right over with out narry a hiccup. And on asphalt they clean like a squeegee.
    The problem is most surfaces are not flat, they have peaks and valleys, so with the shoes on each end, the cutting edge will still hit something in the middle. Also in loose stone or gravel, the shoes will dig in ,and the edge will still carve up whatever it is that you are plowing.
    Dino

9. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Have to admit ours are still on. Not that they seem to do anything, we just haven't taken them off.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I use mine for door stops,on the fisher,if they are on and you trip something hard,they will dent the moldboard and put a forward bulge in it.