Shoes (again...)

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 23, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys with the polyurethane cutting edges... do you leave the shoes on to keep the edge from rolling while plowing? Theoreticly, I would think that if you set the shoes to just above the cutting edge (so it rests on the edge, but doesn't completely compress it) it may make it last longer??? Just a thought...

-Tim

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

No need for shoes. At least not with my edges, there is a company out there named CUES that makes urethane edges , and they require that you run shoes. Our edges are used at airports on grooved runways and they last 5X that of carbon steel edges. The urethane is 10x more resistant to abrasion than steel, so they will hold the weight of the pplow, and resist the pavement scraping no problem.
    The keep the edge from rolling back, just dont extend more than 2" below the retainer plate, and you will be all set.
    Dino

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Dino-

I plan to mount my u-edge two inches below my 'retainer plate', which is my current steel edge. The current steel edge extends about 2 inches below the moldboard. So, I will have 4 inches to the rear of the urethane that is not supported, and 2 inches to the front. Will that be OK?

Thanks,

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dino,
    I'm salivating reading about your cutter edges.

Mine came in today, hope to get the 1st set mounted this weekend.

My concern is that I bought them thru my buddy and not your MTS edges. If they show ANY signs of wear after the 1st night, I'm on the phone ordering yours. (in blue?)

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Sorry I have been away for a while.
    You shouldnt have any trouble with the edge hanging below the moldboard. the material is pretty stout.
    Lazer let me know how you make out, I will be happy to help out anyway i can.
    Dino

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I almost started a thead asking where Dino went.

Geoff

7. Lazer

They're ON, Dino! :)

(This forum must affect me more than I thought, It'd have been a while before I'd bought polyurethane without your recommendations.)

One thing I did learn this weekend in talking to a chemist is that polyurethanes are a whole family of compounds: The differences between different ones are as different as aluminum and cast-iron.

Frankly I'm extremely leary of the ones I currently have. They seem too flexible and I've noticed considerable wear from the limited messing around I've done so far.

Anyway, Dino, your number and that of MTS in the top drawer of my desk if these "knock-off" ones don't get it done.

8. Lazer

Oh yeah, 1 more thing Dino:

I went to the shop tonite and there's all these "homemade" cutter edges laying around with 2 guys holding another one on the drill press and another guy painting them.

I asked my foreman what was going on and he said "You said these urethane edges can't extend below 2" below the plow so we're making these backer plates."

Some 10 backer plates got manufacured today based on the above comment made by some guy name Dino whom I've never met.

This discussion borad is starting to scare me. ;)

9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Lazer,

Whats scares me, Is on sunday I sent out all my spreaders with pure salt, a very expensive choice. When my dad came by the shop, he saw a truck leaving with 100% pure salt. His response, why the He11 did you do that, you know the customers want sand, and thats all we use. My response, well everyone on lawnsite uses salt. His response, that Internet.

Lazer, then again, didn't you buy Fords based on some of my knowledge?

Geoff

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

i would ask the same thing. Why use pure salt? At least the sand will give you some grip until the ice melts.