Shoes, Shoes, Shoes!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Feb 12, 2005.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I have a problem that I have had for years now. I have always wore tennis shoes while mowing lawns, because they are so lightweight and comfy, the problem is that when I am done weedwackin my socks are green and covered with grass I quess it gets in through the laces, beats me? Is there a way to prevent this, or will I have to switch to work boots, if so does anyone make a workboot that is as comfy as a tennis shoe, and as lightweight as possible, (so I dont feel like I have 50 pound weights on my feet!!!!).

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

im surprised you can work in tennis shoes. i hope you keep them tied tight. i woudl recomend a low rise work boot if you dont like big swampers. they are much more sturdy and allow a greater deal of support on your feet.

3. sunturf

sunturf LawnSite Member

i always wear steel toes..no sense in wasting a good set of toes on a accident. besides...1 week of wearing them and you get used to them...remember, safety is paramount in the green industry! :)

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Bates Enforcer for footwear, light, tough and waterproof. The 8" boot also stops all the junk from discoloring your socks (jeans fit nicely over the top). You can also get steel toe if so inclined.

http"//www.batesfootwear.com

BobR

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Timberland makes a lightweight boot, almost like a hiking boot. I wear those while mowing and regular workboots for construction work. I have also heard OSHA will start doing spot inspections of landscape crews, and one of the infractions they are looking for is not wearing workboots.

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I need to find some comfy work boots, too. I am also guilty of wearing tennis shoes.

I can't be certain, but I thought I saw some where, these shin guard type things that you can wear to protect your lower legs and shoes. I'll see if I can find the site where I saw them.

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Give the steel toed Timberland hiking style work shoes a try. They're comfortable, break in easily, are available in wide widths, and you really won't notice the extra weight during the course of the day.

The first time you notice a cut in the toe of the boot, you realize what a good value steel toes are. About $85 if I recall.

8. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

You know i have to agree with shutter you may want look at the timberland line of footwear there are in my area a constant reminder of snakes everywhere loose the tennis shoes

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I used RedWing work boots. Some styles were more comfortable than others. Better support than tennis shoes.

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear the Timberland pro hiking boots with steel toes. They are comfortable and light weight. I think they cost about $85 at Academy Sports.