1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone actually use shoes anymore? All my customers want to see blacktop, not the thin layer plowing with the shoes on would leave. Shoes get caught on potholes, and make them bigger. Can chew up speed bumps if they get stuck. They also have to be adjusted often too. I see no reason to use them. I know they are designed to reduce wear bar, or cutting edge wear. I think a thicker cutting edge is a better idea, maybe even a higher carbon steel than original specs. I'm interested to see how well the urethane edges Dino's using last. As Dino mentioned, gravel areas are typically uneven anyway, so plowing with the blade 1&quot; above the ground works best. My plow instantly tries to trip when I go from pavement to gravel, at one lot we do. The front is paved, the rear is gravel. We move all the snow to the rear of the lot. When we hit the edge of the lot, we raise the blade slightly. Shoes seem to be more of a headache than any help. I plowed quite a bit, and had to replace my cutting edge once. Was under $100. This one will last a while, since we have gotten little snow since I put it on. Even if it lasted only 2 seasons, and I plowed 20 times, it would be a small price to pay for not having to worry about shoes, and getting driveways down to blacktop. I might add that exposing large sections of blacktop helps melt snow faster, as the black draws sunlight. Anyways, I have a few nice boat anchors now. I used the washers from my shoes to repair the body mounts on a friends 85 Jeep CJ. Welded them onto the original mounts that were rotted on the chassis. I knew those huge washers would come in handy!<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff you read my mind. Guess I had more to say, and typed slower than you did.<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I was going to start a thread on shoes, but thought I would jump in on one of these. I have thought about taking mine off, but I plow a couple of big brick driveways. Has anyone plowed them without shoes and how does it work. I talked to the guys putting in the one driveway and he recommended using the shoes.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,<p>We plow a couple of brick driveways and 1 w/ specialized colored concrete. Seeing how some of these folks spent 30G+ on their driveways, you don't want to mess them up. We use our trucks with the rubber cutting edges on the back-blades for these surfaces. We don't even put the front plow down on them. <p>I'd want my shoes off, but I'd leave them on for that, I wouldn't think it's worth risking it. Based on your website, it looks like the properties you service aren't in the low rent category and you'd risk finding yourself with either a huge repair and/or a lost customer.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If anyone bothered to read the book that came with their plow theyd notice that shoes are not for blacktop only use for dirt or gravel. I have never used mine but all I plow is asphalt and concrete surfaces(maybe a lawn accidentally!).