1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, Apr 26, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

May sound stupid - but we're looking to buy new shoes for my crew - they all need to be comfortable. If the feet hurt - ya can't do a decent job is my philosophy - and it's just part of keeping the guys happy and uniformed. Was wondering what shoes you guys are wearing that you feel are the most comfortable and hold up the best. I know a lot of LCO's wear sneakers - but I'm dead set against those for several reasons - just don't like the "teenager" look probably is my biggest beef......but of course I'm gettin to be an old man.....
  2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you're considering steel toes, there are several comfortable styles out there.
  3. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

i am considering them.... but the weight is a factor that everyone is voicing concern over......but i'm concerned with both weight and safety. don't need to end the season by saying "if i had only.....".
  4. lars

lars LawnSite Member

As a person that walks A LOT I would consider going the sneaker route. They are lightweight and comfortable. I'm a New Balance fan myself. If you don't want to do sneakers, go with a lightweight hiking boot. Something like an ankle-high boot would be good.

As something to stay away from, I would suggest that you don't get Gore Tex. I bought Merrel lightweight Gore Tex hikers and the Gore Tex was shot in less than a month. The shoes were completely destroyed in three.

Now I do the tennis shoes and rubbers. You can get them at Lesco for $8 a pair. They have kept may feet dry better than anything I have ever tried.
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I use nothing but steel toe, I have bought good stuff from Work'n Gear, don't know if you guys have them down there, but they have alot of good stuff for the Landscape / Construction fields.
  6. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i wouldn't go with steel toe if i were you.
  7. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

For landscaping I like wearing steel toes, but not for maintenance. The only dangers in maintenance I know of is getting your toes chopped off or stepping on something sharp neither of which will be avoided with steel toe.
  8. exmarkjockey

exmarkjockey LawnSite Member

I wear Columbia hiking shoes because they are extremely comfortable and it is about the only thing I can find in a size 17. Would love to have a pair of nice work boots, but can't find anything in my size.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

flip flops, or sandles, with socks
  10. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

One the most comfrotable boot that I have worn is the Wolverine Dura Shock. They are steele toed and cost round $90.00.

Another favorite is Rocky Gore Tex boots.

What ever you choose. Take the guys to the shoe store if possible. Then they can get a good fit. They may say that they wear a size 10. But a 9 1/2 may fit better once they try them on.