Shoestring budget for liquid Fert operation.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kaufmaninc, Mar 19, 2005.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Yes....I'm certified! I've got my Lesco SS spreader and a solo 475 deluxe backpack. I'm at a crossroads and don't know what to do. I know I need something bigger than a BP for pre-m & post apps but want to watch the Ben Franklins. I eventually want to get a PG, but that's down the road a year or 2. So, in the meantime, should I set up a 30 gal on the back of of scag like the unit lawngodfather did? Which would limit me to non-gated properties.

This is really stressing me oooooooout!

How should I handle this dilema?

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see the harm in outfitting your mower with a sprayer ... may be a little heavier than the other sprayers, hence a little compaction but other than that - the creature comfort is better. :)

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw an ad today in Turf magazine for a boom sprayer that drops straight into the hopper your Lesco push spreader.

No idea what it would cost...but it would be like a poor mans PG. If you want I can go lookup the company info.

4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

Turf unlimited-
    I would be interested in seeing that drop in sprayer. Did they list a website? or what was the name of the company?
    Thanks

5. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I saw that too. It's made by Gregson Clarke. I believe it runs about $550.
    A little pricey I thought.
    gregsonclark.com with a www before that :cool2:

MIke

6. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

TurfUnlimited & others:
    It is a gregson clarke. I spoke with them on Thursday and this is what they shared with me.

Need to use a Lesco spreader b/c of the long handles. Said if you hit a hole and the handle isn't long, you'll jam your shins on the crossbar :angry: Unit is a 9 gallon drop in tank, (4) type 02 low drift nozzles on the boom with over 30 % overlap. The unit weighs 102#'s loaded. He mentioned you should be able to cover 30,000 sq. ft. between fillups. It does have a pressure gauge & I beleive he said a regulator, but not sure. It is a 12V system. Not sure of the GPM nor max pressure. The charge of the battery should last up to 90 min. which they say is good for 3-4 acres.

So...are you ready for the cost? $735, drain the bank acct faster than quick dollars. OH... that doesn't include the 57 skins for the battery or the charger $28 "made specifically" for the battery. Your talkin over $800 with shipping. I do think this would be an awesome unit but cost is too much for me. If he would see it for say 500, I probalbly would've bitten.

When I saw that in the lawn and landscape mag. I thought I'd solved all my problems. Premature joy.

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I wondered about that thing too, but the price is crazy! You are half way to a skid sprayer with that price!

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Take a look at lawn godfather and my sprayers and do some thinking. Buy an old walk behind mower, toss the deck and add the tank and boom from a TSC pull type sprayer and make some money and not bust your back. Make sure you mount the tank as far back as possible or you will make ruts when you have a full tank and soft, wet lawns. I had a fert sprayer on my Toro wbh years ago, even Stone said it was a good idea. My home made sprayers are here if you do a search using my user name, cantoo.

9. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Kaufman....look into buying a quad....they are a dime-a-dozen these days and rig it with a 16gal tank and a spray boom on the back.

:cool2:

10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

PG used to offer a spray unit that mounts to your lesco spreader, holds 3 gal at a time and is battery operated, using LV you can spread and spray small yards. works good if you don't mind pushing a heavy spreader/sprayer.