Shoot-em-up Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LonghornShortgrass, Nov 15, 2002.

1. LonghornShortgrass

LonghornShortgrass LawnSite Member

I have been asked by a friend to bid on the 'mowing' at an outdoor gun range. :gunsfirin Probably a total waste of my time, but here goes:

Just over 3 acres (192,200 s.f.) total to be mowed/trimmed. No shrubs, no beds, no trees. All mowing is on flat terrain; no hills, dips, etc.

There are 4 large steep berms that would have to be trimmed with weedeaters/brushcutters, due to their size and shape. Three of the berms are eroding due to the fact that they are riddled with bullets every day. :gunsfirin These berms make up about 25,000 s.f. of the total property.

There are 100 telephone pole-type supports that would have to be trimmed around. Edging and blowing would be very minimal, maybe 5 minutes each.

Equipment-wise, I would use 54 ZTR in all possible areas, and probably 21's everywhere else, due to the # of obstacles. 48 and 36 w/b are also available for larger, open areas. This would be done with me and 1 helper (unless several large multi/res. & retail bids come thru, which would increase my manpower, and save time).

Until now, the porperty has been done by 5 (yes, five!) :dizzy: VOLUNTEERS :dizzy: , and it takes them 4-6 hours :eek: . They also would like to have the property serviced on Thursday or Friday (as does everyone else!!). I am promised that I will not be shot at :rolleyes: , and was told that it doesn't have to "look manicured, just presentable". Even with that being said, I would still do a quality cut. I am 99% sure that no matter what price I come up with will be too high, but they are supposed to get 2 more bids, and will choose the one they think is MOST QUALIFIED, not just the LOWEST $$$. They want it cut once a week during the season (Apr-Oct), as neded otherwise.

I do not have an "exact" way of figuring out my bids as many of you do, usually i'll visit the property several times before finalizing my bid. My first gut feeling has already doubled, but i'm still not there yet. Anyone have any ballpark estimates using their own formulas?

Thanks! ---- Bill

2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

my advise would be get the helper to grag the weed whip and start on all of the berms and poles, meanwhile you should be driving the 54 ztr..by the time you get finished cutting you could either start blowing/help w/ the berms whatever..sounds like it should not take longer than an hr or so to do the main mowing based off of 80% efficiency for a 52 inch deck..i know you said 54inch deck..by the time you get done mowing and finish trimming/blowing etc you should have about 1.5-1.75hrs in the job..multiply by two ee's (you and the helper) your hrly rate you want to achieve the profit you want..ex--1.5*2*45hr=135 or 1.75*2*45hr=157.5..sounds pretty cheap to me for 3acres of work so i would bump the hr rate up a tadd..depends on how much you are paying your helper your overhead etc..
    give him a quote of say 175-200 and ask him if it would be ok to cut it once to see how long it takes you..that way you still get the one time fee and if you do it w/i 1.5-1.75 hrs your good..your time should drop a little after you cut it a few times anyway..
    you also have to remember that if it is a weekly cut that you should mutiply by about 30-35 to look at the yrly gross..not sure how long your season is there but i always look at how much i will make off of an account for the entire yr..

can you post some pics of the berms??

hope this helps

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I Can tell you about our rifle range. It's just under 3 acres, probably about 2.5 mowable. I have done it a couple times.
    The grass is mosty k-31 fescue and weeds. There are a few trees and obticles but mostly wide open. We don't have any berms that we mow or trim, just let the weds grow(helps hold the soil).

we Usualy have volenteers trimm everthing a couple times a season. The guy that normaly mowes it is a club member who has a little kubota with a 4ft bush hog mower. Pretty rough looking cuts at about 5-6 in.

When I mowed it I used my walkbehind w/ jungle wheels set at 3.75 in. going as fast as I could without being throun off:dizzy:
    It took me just over 3 hours to just mow.
    I think that with the lack of roin this year we only had to mow three or four times since april.

If the ground isn't to rough and you can keep your mower going at a good speed you shoild be able to make good time.

Don't worry about shooting. just ask them if you can lock the gate or post it when your there, or park your truck right in front of the entrance blocking it. Any shooter I know that belongs to a club knows enough about gun saftey to know not too shoot when there is someone working , or any other unsafe situation.

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly ... the $200 price sounds fair if it is two people ... and you are the one riding ... not wandering around 25 K to do weed whacking. I would probably bid that even a bit higher, but then again, I usually charge $80 per acre, but if it is all open and flat and you can make good time with few obstacles and turns, then it might be worth going in a bit lower. The other thing to consider is, 25K is a hell of a lot of weed whacking !!!!

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

192,200 sq. ft. is just under 5 acres, not 3.