shop at the house or another location

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, Aug 29, 2005.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many of you have your shop at your house. I am getting ready to build a house but can't decide if I want to build the shop there or somewhere else. I like the idea of haveing my equipment close so I can keep a eye on it but I just don't know if I like the idea of my emplooyee's knowing where my house is in case I ever have a falling out. So what do most of you have? Better have it at the house or another location?
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

My choice would be at home. If you build it at another place you can't keep an eye on it and ----- if you have a falling out with an employee he is gonna find out where you live one way or the other if he wants to know.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Definetly if you are building and have enough room my choice would be at home. You might want to check local zoning laws in your area first, some regualtions might not let you build a garage for commercial or business purposes. Kinda hard to prove but it happend to a friend of mine who lived within the city limits. His neighbor's were complaining that there were trucks and trailers all over the place,which there was at times. Also late night repairs became a pita! in fear of disturbing the neighbors etc.
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

"Don't **** where U eat" - Build at another location!
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

mine as at my parents house (still live at home). $900,000 house that looks like skid row. Dump truck, enclosed trailer, pick up, tractor, 8 JD garden tractors, 5 old locke reel mower and other junk. Can't wait until I get a shop.
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

at the house. if you have a falling out theyll go to the unwatched shop and do something. i got a video surveilence system for the shop, office, and surrounding property just in case, but no one has ever been dumb enough to come back after those little falling outs.
  7. Mile High

Mile High LawnSite Member

I have 4 kids, so they think that just because dad is at home that he is available to play, fix stuff, etc. For other reasons also I found that the whole company was more productive at a place of business that was not my house. This is for you to decide. For sure, it's nice to pay yourself the rent money or put that money in your pocket. Also I don't like my employees at my house. I've accidentally hired some weird folk in the past (did not know that until after they'd worked for me for a couple weeks).
  8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine's at home wouldn't have it any other way
  9. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

First you need to ask yourself what are your goals for your business. Do you want to grow and how big. You may not want to walk around your new house with all your work equipment all over the place, and if your that worried about postal employees than fence in you building and yard with security.( Do you think Donald Trump is worried when he fires someone, hell no) Do what will work for you, your family and the business.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I use a detatched garage at my house now. But next year I am growing and there will be no room and it will start to look like Sanford and Sons with 3 trucks and my personal vehicles at night and even worse during the day with my employees cars parked everywhere.

I already own a commercial property and will be building on that over the winter to accomodate my growth. Sure it adds some drive time but it will be so much easier not having to deal with annoyed neighbors, my lawn getting wrecked by parked cars and all the other problems.