Shop Blew up engine...:(

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RickyDL77, Oct 12, 2010.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

$120 for an overhaul???
    Explains why the engine exploded.

2. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

if you are going through a dealer then i would say no. If you were knowledgable enough to do it yourself I would say yes, the parts are fairly cheap depending on how much needs replaced (cylinder/crankcase, rebuilt heads, piston, rings, gaskets, seals about 500 dealer cost..new engine 1600 dealer cost). company i work for decided to alow me to start rebuilding them last year since things are kinda tight atm and i have only had this one machine blow up after a rebuild.. most hours on a rebuild are 4200+ rebuilt at 2900.

New engines also carry some type of warranty where rebuilds usually dont, and it is much easier and quicker

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If you do a proper rebuild its really not worth it. This is more of a refresh. Rebuild would be boring cylinders, over size pistons/rings. Possible new rods. On a Kawasaki probably new valves and cut the seats...some engines you could grind the valves.

And yah, at a dealer none of this is really worth it anymore. New engine with a 2-3 year warranty is the way to go. Deepest we go in anymore is replacing a cylinder head when they overheat and a valve guild decides to move. Even that is not great since generally the other side will need the same treatment at some point and if you were to do both sides at once...you would probably be better off with the new engine and warranty.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Can you even buy oversized rings and pistons for a Kawi?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thanks guys. That is the same counsel my dealer has given me.

6. RickyDL77

yes for most twin cylinder engines I use they offer oversized pistons and rings.. FH541V FH680V FH500V

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Aren't kawi blocks nikasil plated? Can they be bored out just like that or do they need to be re-plated and if so where would you get that done?

8. RickyDL77

I dont really know, I've never bored any of them sorry. I usually just replace the crankcase...would just replace the crankshaft bushing but Kawasaki doesnt offer the part

9. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

+1. You know the guy feels terrible and cutting him some slack definitely gets you more appreciation than busting his chops. Very well handled.:clapping:

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Nikasil cylinders either have to be replaced with new or reamed and sleeved.
    Posted via Mobile Device