shop fueling

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Feb 17, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I'm all done with the gas station crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm installing a 330 gallon home heating fuel tank in the shop for diesel! I will purchase fuel (fill up) every 5-6 weeks and always have diesel when i need it.
  2. It does make things eaiser that way.
  3. lawn king

10 4 on that jb. Every time i turn around i need fuel. pulling a dump & trailer into tight gas stations at 7 AM ! Been ther'e,done that,bought the tee shirt and i A'INT going through that $h/t this season!
  4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a 1100 Litre custom gas/diesel tank. Thats about 300Gallon.

One side hold Gasoline the other holds Diesel. With an air space between the tanks.

It is wonderful not to have to get gas from the stations.

My tank is located outdoors and is locked in a fenced area, (snowmobilers like to steal gas here when the lake freezes over.)

Problems I have come across are locks freezing in the winter and knowing when the Equipment is full without spilling. I am using manual hand pumps.
    I will upgrade to automatic electric pumps with a shutoff at full when I get power to the tank area.
  5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

We just looked into getting onsite fuel tanks but found out that our county requires a permit which is hard to obtain and supposedly very expensive although I do not know how much. And yes, this is for above ground tanks, not below ground. I was very disappointed.
  6. lawn king

We are installing the tank in the building near the roll up door and we are storing diesel only! This is essentially the same set up as home heating ! I will keep 20 gallons of gas in 4 cans for the small equipment, too dangerous to bulk store gasoline!
  7. lawn king

Installed the tank today! $523.for the tank,legs and gauge. The pump will be her'e friday and my gas station days will be history! All we need now is spring!
  8. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

With this tank setup in your shop, can you get off road prices for the Diesel & Gas?
  9. lawn king

Most of this diesel is for the trucks and i don't need the untaxed fuel fine in my life, it's 5 thousand dollars in massachusetts! We will however,be able to buy diesel in bulk when the price is lower! We don't burn enough off road fuel to make it worth having another tank!
  10. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Good Points Lawn King,

I thought you just needed it for the mowers.